..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Windows vs linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know that linux is very lightweight compared to windows, but on a fast quad core i7 with 8gb ram; will the lightweight aspect of linux provide a performance boost?  When comparing a windows and linux pcsx2 build of equal maturity, since i assume the linux build is behind.
On linux, with time you can see the time in kernel (system) and for the user. You will likely see that kernel time is very very small. Performance is all about good openGL/Dx driver. Otherwise it is very close on both OS.
If you're looking for a lightweight distribution, I always liked BunsenLabs. It's my favorite distribution of Debian (It isn't bloated like Ubuntu but I don't use Linux much now) and incorporates OpenBox; which is as lightweight as you can get in terms of a GUI on Linux

[Image: hydrogen2.jpg]
I found Windows 10 Direct3D GDSX plugin to be slightly faster than Linux driver
Eg Soulcalibour 2 would have a stable framerate on Windows at 8x native resolution, while on Ubuntu I had to limit native resolution to 6x. Hardly an issue on lower settings though.
yes but openGL is more accurate than Dx. So comparison is moot. Do you really see a difference between 6x and 8x (I know that game internal resolution is very low but still) ? As a side note, openGL will become slower on the future as GPU will need to do more work.
(07-31-2016, 11:25 PM)CK1 Wrote: [ -> ]If you're looking for a lightweight distribution, I always liked BunsenLabs. It's my favorite distribution of Debian (It isn't bloated like Ubuntu but I don't use Linux much now) and incorporates OpenBox; which is as lightweight as you can get in terms of a GUI on Linux

In my quest to find the lightest window manager possible I found http://dwm.suckless.org/ and have been happy with it for years.  Because the code is so small it's easily customizable, there are a variety of patches available on the main website.
(09-02-2016, 08:41 PM)gregory Wrote: [ -> ]yes but openGL is more accurate than Dx. So comparison is moot. Do you really see a difference between 6x and 8x (I know that game internal resolution is very low but still) ? As a side note, openGL will become slower on the future as GPU will need to do more work.

OP asked mainly about performance, not seeming to care about accuracy.
 I too prefer accuracy and the Linux version is more stable than the Windows version due to the nature of Windows. Eg if you try to bloat the GPU with MSAA and other hacks, OS will hang or HDD becomes very slow due to RAM flushing. This does not happen in the Linux version.