..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: The different GDSX plugins?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So. I've always wondered how much of a difference the AVX, AVX2, SSE4.1 and the other plugins work as opposed to SSE2. I've never been able to use any of them as my cpu atm only supports SSE2. How much of a difference do they make and should I bother upgrading my cpu for pcsx2.

Host Machine Init:
    Operating System =  Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (build 14393), 64-bit
    Physical RAM     =  16383 MB
    CPU name         =  AMD Phenom™ II X6 1055T Processor
    Vendor/Model     =  AuthenticAMD (stepping 00)
    CPU speed        =  2.799 ghz (6 logical threads)
    x86PType         =  Standard OEM
    x86Flags         =  178bfbff 00802009
    x86EFlags        =  efd3fbff

x86 Features Detected:
    SSE2.. SSE3
    SSE4a
It makes a noticeable difference for software rendering. It shouldn't really do much for HW. Quick and dirty benchmark of just standing around in an area of VP2 (Bifrost) nets the following result on an [email protected] with SW rendering:

AVX2 ~62
AVX ~54
SSE4 ~54
SSSE3 ~53
SSE2 ~53

AVX2 seems to make a significant difference and allows this area to run at full speed, the rest is within the margin of error. Might get different results for different types of games/scenes etc., I'm not sure.
That said, if you care about emulation, upgrading essentially means "get an Intel CPU". Zen is a ways off and may or may not be at least competitive in the mainstream segment, but right now, it's Intel or bust, unfortunately.
Thank you for the info. I have nothing against intel But the price of some of the cpu's is way to much for my broke budget, and even any birthday budget. And i generally wouldnt need software emulation as all of the games in my library run like a dream in hardware.. sans rouge galaxy if that sephia backflash is still broken. So i'll probably go for a AMD fx 250 dollar chip and call it a year for now, Gonna need a decent paying job before intel is in my range cause ill need a new motherboard. the cpu, and DDR4 ram.
You're really better off spending that money on an Intel i5 if you're buying it with emulation in mind, Intel chips do perform much better at lower clock speeds for emulation.

The other alternative is wait until Zen is released and see how they stack up.
Either way I'll need a new motherboard, ram, and the Cpu as Zen will apparently use DDR4 as well.
Yup! The joy of modernising your computer Smile
My current motherboard ram and cpu all together cost more then i actually paid for it XD i got it on a 15% off all items and no tax day. tho the board was used it works fine compared to my old Amd Phenom II x3 B65 >.>; Just as well, Video card upgrade comes first over all. Tired of games telling me my Amd hd radeon 5830 is too weak xD.