..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: How to dump bios file from PS2 via USB drive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

I'm new to this console modding thing but I'm pretty familiar with console emulation. I've been playing the PlayStation 2 ever since I got my first one back in Christmas of '07. Since then, I've played some awesome titles but I've also experienced consoles not working. The most recent working PS2 I had stopped working around 2015 and I've only played PC games and console titles on other emulators (such as ePSXe) exclusively since. Since my last PS2 stopped working, I've been thinking of getting another one, but I decided since I've seen several PS2s of mine stop working (all black and all slim model), I've decided to try out an emulator instead.

I looked here on PCSX2 since it was probably the only PS2 emulator I know. I went through the setup and it told me to not download a bios from the internet and instead dump it from the console. I have a few consoles around so I guess I can do that. The steps I need to do is to burn an iso file onto a CD-R, put a USB in to collect the bios file, run the program on the disc when the console starts, dump it onto the USB, and finished. The problem is that I don't think any PS2s in my house can read discs nor do I think I have any unburned CD-Rs so my only option is a USB drive which I have. I've looked onto forums where I can do it from a USB by extracting the .elf files from the .iso's and such but I keep seeing that I have to do this to do this and so forth.

I would like to know the whole process on what I need to do to dump a bios file from a console using only a USB drive. I'd like to play some of my favorite PS2 games on my PC. Let me know what I need to know.
The only thing I can think of that may allow you to dump the bios(if your ps2 drive is not working)is if any of your consoles have a modchip installed that have dev modes(matrix infinity for example and clones)or with the Free memory card boot(FMCB)softmod(if you don't know what that is,then you don't have it).
If you know someone else that have modchip or softmod,he can also help you
(01-05-2017, 10:52 PM)vsub Wrote: [ -> ]The only thing I can think of that may allow you to dump the bios(if your ps2 drive is not working)is if any of your consoles have a modchip installed that have dev modes(matrix infinity for example and clones)or with the Free memory card boot(FMCB)softmod(if you don't know what that is,then you don't have it).
If you know someone else that have modchip or softmod,he can also help you

Well, I do have some neighbors who 'may' have it. I don't know if they do or not. I might have to ask them.
if your neighbour can make you a freemcboot memorycard with ulaunchelf on it, you could boot in to that straight from the bios and put the dumper on a USB stick, that would work.
(01-05-2017, 11:44 PM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]if your neighbour can make you a freemcboot memorycard with ulaunchelf on it, you could boot in to that straight from the bios and put the dumper on a USB stick, that would work.
Please can you explain to me how the process is done step by step
The most recent post in this thread is more than 8 months old. Please create a new thread and refrain from posting in threads older than 8 months in the future. Please also review the forum rules. Thank you.