..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Dragon Quest VIII Frame-rate drops
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I've been playing around with the Video Plugin settings on PCSX2 1.4.0 and I've been working around the settings, and ultimately I ended up with this:
 [Image: QLpvmWJ.png?forcedesktop=1]
Now, it runs fine at the start up and everything, but then everything starts to slow down at ~64% speed, with the EE being used at around ~28-34% and GS at around ~80-90%.

I'm using a laptop with:
  • Windows 10
  • 16GB RAM
  • Intel i7-7500U @ 2.70GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 3GB
The game plays perfectly fine at its original settings, but I prefer to play them at a prettier settings. If the laptop can't play it like that, so be it. At least you guys helped me out.
DQ8 is quite GPU taxing, and your GPU won't handle it with 3x internal res and 2x anisotropic filtering.
Try lowering those settings 1 by 1
Alright, seems that lowering the internal resolution down to 2x while maintaining the anisotropic filtering bumps my speed to around ~90% to full speed. I'll have to play a while longer to see if there's any other places where it drops, but thanks a lot!

Oh, and one more thing, which might sound a bit off-topic, but when there's a "cutscene", it switches the original resolution of the game, but then suddenly shifts to the intended resolution that I set up. Don't know if that's something the game does or a glitch.
FMVs are NOT upscalled since they are pre rendered scenes and thus stuck at their native resolution.
videos can't be upscaled, but they made the videos using the ingame engine, so it's not as fluid as if you have it in native resolution Smile