..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: What happened to PCSX2 performance?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I used to play Burnout 3 often on PCSX2 a while ago with pretty good performance with an HD 7850. I decided to try the emulator and Burnout 3 out again after some time since the last time, and now the program has a lot of input lag, and performance is worse with more stuttering than I remember. This is all with an i7-5775c and GTX 1070; PC games work great (Witcher 3 max settings 60+ FPS for example) as does Dolphin, so my computer isn't the problem.

So did something change recently? Am I missing something?
Did you update to a new version of the emulator between the times you used it?
(01-30-2017, 06:53 AM)dogen Wrote: [ -> ]Did you update to a new version of the emulator between the times you used it?

I'm using 1.4, last time I used pcsx2 was mid/late 2015 and a bit in 2016 I think.
Frame rate is solid at 60 FPS, but strangely there's stuttering and of course the input lag. I think the input lag has to do with there not being exclusive fullscreen mode, would like to know how to force that. As for the stuttering I'm not exactly sure. I know Dolphin games stutter a bit more in windowed compared to exclusive fullscreen, so maybe that's it. I just don't remember the experience being this laggy or stuttery in the past.
(01-30-2017, 06:19 AM)TrantaLocked Wrote: [ -> ]I used to play Burnout 3 often on PCSX2 a while ago with pretty good performance with an HD 7850. I decided to try the emulator and Burnout 3 out again after some time since the last time, and now the program has a lot of input lag, and performance is worse with more stuttering than I remember. This is all with an i7-5775c and GTX 1070; PC games work great (Witcher 3 max settings 60+ FPS for example) as does Dolphin, so my computer isn't the problem.

So did something change recently? Am I missing something?

could be because pcsx2 is now more accuarte, hence more demanding.
what do the ee% & gs% say when it's lagging ?
EE% spikes up to about 85%, GS% hovers between 30% and 40%. Actual CPU usage I can see in task manager doesn't go above 20% though. Frame rate never drops before 59 though. Weird that it would be more accurate yet there's still the same sky rendering bug in hardware render mode as in the past.
that doesn't mean intern mechanism aren't more accurate.
And that sky rendering bug may not be part of the improvements taht have been made.

Anyways, looks like your CPU is having a hard time.
Trying using recommended speedhacks ? tried pushing ee cycle rate a notch ?
Even with the fastest speed hack settings, netting sub 40 EE%, there's stuttering. Actual CPU usage never goes above 20% no matter the settings I use. 

Something is going on. I don't know if it's the lack of exclusive fullscreen or something else, but there's something up.
The lack of exclusive full screen would hammer your GPu more than your CPU. so i don't think it's the problem.
let's say you get back to 1.2.1.
do you get the same problem ?
(01-30-2017, 09:18 AM)jesalvein Wrote: [ -> ]The lack of exclusive full screen would hammer your GPu more than your CPU. so i don't think it's the problem.
let's say you get back to 1.2.1.
do you get the same problem ?

In my case, the difference is usually large. In Dolphin playing Metroid Prime 1/2 for instance, I get stuttering in windowed/borderless compared to silky smooth in exclusive fullscreen. I've also experienced worse performance in borderless with Witcher 3. Over time I've grown to despise gaming in non-exclusive fullscreen, and really wonder how anyone tolerates the clearly inferior experience. 

I'll try 1.2.1 soon.
Pages: 1 2