..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: How good of a PC for flawless emulation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone.

I have read the stickies about "running fast" but this isn't really my concern.
My question is slightly more complex in that I would like to envision a world where you can flawlessly emulate any PS2 game.
Now I know that the emulator while pretty great is nowhere near 100% flawless/cycle-accurate but what would be a ballpark figure of the kind of PC you would need
to brute force any potential power problems.

For right now my PC specs are:

Titan X Pascal
Hexcore Intel I7 @4.5ghz. 
32GB DDR4 RAM.

I know that this is probably excessive for emulation's sake but I don't know the right amount of extra rendering threads to use on SW mode (Since HW mode is still hugely inferior for accuracy due to all the hacks needed to make games not look broken)

My problem right now is that Crash: The Wrath of Cortex seems to be stuttering at seemingly random intervals dropping to 90-100% speed instead of constant 100 like I desire. What can I do if anything to resolve this issue, thanks very much Laugh

Joey.
If you mean what kind of specs would you need for a cycle-accurate ps2 emulator, way more powerful than anything out now.

And I mean waaay more. Look at bsens, even if the creator focused more on making it run fast, it would still need hardware thousands of times more powerful than a super nintendo to run well
Oh, I guess you mean just for pcsx2. Try, MTVU, changing the number of rendering threads, at least 3 or 4 for that CPU.
Maybe the game on the actual ps2 has frame rate trouble? Dont know about Crash but lot if games on ps2 have slowdowns, pcsx2 emulates this.
As to 100% accurate/flawless, dont think that will ever happen, iirc even the snes isnt 100% accurately emulated. PS2 is one off, if not the most complicated machine to emulate. Not even sony could do it with real ps2 hw in the 60gb ps3...
Though i prefer pcsx2 over real ps2 (having both), i dont need 100% accuracy, theres many advantages that outweigh the problems.
(05-13-2017, 01:57 AM)dogen Wrote: [ -> ]If you mean what kind of specs would you need for a cycle-accurate ps2 emulator, way more powerful than anything out now.

And I mean waaay more. Look at bsens, even if the creator focused more on making it run fast, it would still need hardware thousands of times more powerful than a super nintendo to run well

BSNES or well HIGAN now is perfect example of how  demanding emulation can be think min requirements is duo core for it will last time  i really loooked, my i7 920 use to run most game under it at full speed, at then  the i7 920 was running game that use to be full speed under accuracy core when i first start using and less then half speed. byuu has always been about accuracy>everything else.

To this day there to things the 3 things that ever bsod my that 920 system when it OC and it was unstable BSNES/HIGAN,PCSX2, and Swtor ( this so horrible optimized that its almost like running emulator in how much stress on system is caused)
(05-13-2017, 01:57 AM)dogen Wrote: [ -> ]If you mean what kind of specs would you need for a cycle-accurate ps2 emulator, way more powerful than anything out now.

Thanks for responding! Sorry for not getting back quicker. I thought for some reason i'd get emailed if a reply was made Tongue
I thought that was about right. I guess i'll have to manage with 100% speed for now at the cost of accuracy... Also about using 2-3 threads, it seems to have reduced lag which is great, thanks Laugh

(05-13-2017, 02:32 AM)tsunami2311 Wrote: [ -> ]BSNES or well HIGAN now is perfect example of how  demanding emulation can be think min requirements is duo core for it will last time  i really loooked, my i7 920 use to run most game under it at full speed, at then  the i7 920 was running game that use to be full speed under accuracy core when i first start using and less then half speed. byuu has always been about accuracy>everything else.

To this day there to things the 3 things that ever bsod my that 920 system when it OC and it was unstable BSNES/HIGAN,PCSX2, and Swtor ( this so horrible optimized that its almost like running emulator in how much stress on system is caused)

I wish for the day that we can truly utilise 4/6/8 core machines without needed hacks. I know the actual benefit would be minimal/nothing but I'd still like the option without having nasty hacks to do it! I guess the only other thing I can think of is optimisation in the emulation itself to get more bang for your buck. I had no idea that the PS2 was really hard to emulate properly. I thought compared to GCN it'd probably be comparatively simple, Derp.
(05-15-2017, 06:28 PM)Squalljoey6464 Wrote: [ -> ]I thought compared to GCN it'd probably be comparatively simple, Derp.
It'd the exact opposite.
WII/GCN is definitely easier to emulate because of the similarities between a GCN GPU and a PC GPU
(05-15-2017, 07:12 PM)jesalvein Wrote: [ -> ]It'd the exact opposite.
WII/GCN is definitely easier to emulate because of the similarities between a GCN GPU and a PC GPU

The Gamecube's CPU is a little more normal too, plus it didn't do all of it's geometry calculations on the CPU (meaning dolphin can offload more work to the GPU).
I wonder how accurate/good Sonys own emulator on the ps4 is, thinking the ps4 cpu is very weak, even a 920 is faster... How did they manage that. Would be nice if they shared some code with the pcsx2 team Tongue
(05-16-2017, 01:19 AM)Aggressor22 Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder how accurate/good Sonys own emulator on the ps4 is, thinking the ps4 cpu is very weak, even a 920 is faster... How did they manage that. Would be nice if they shared some code with the pcsx2 team Tongue

Welcome to the wonderful advantage of having the original source code grants.  Add in the fact that PS2 on PS4 (Sony's stupid name not mine) is not exactly emulation and it starts to make sense.
Pages: 1 2