..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: PSX2 FPS AND SPEED DROPS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know that there are other threads about this but I just need help with whats going on. Im trying to play Crash bandicoot twinsanity and the speed will drop to as low as 50 and the fps to 20 or so. I dont know alot about this stuff so I looked up youtube videos on how to fix this and they had me change a bunch of settings and I was still having the problem. The only things I could find that helped was turbo mode but the textures are weird on that and the other solution was using speed hacks but it still drops when im playing. I just need settings that will work for any game I would want to play. Here are my pc specs.

8GB of ram
AMD FX-6300(CPU)
ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0(MOTHER BOARD)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (GRAPHICS CARD)
and im on windows 10.
You're trying to play a demanding game on a weak CPU. It's recommended to have a STR (single thread rating) of at least 1600 for moderate games, and up to 2000 or more for the more demanding ones. Your STR is under 1400. So you'll either have to play it on your original PS2 or upgrade your CPU
(06-19-2017, 12:31 AM)envisaged0ne Wrote: [ -> ]You're trying to play a demanding game on a weak CPU.  It's recommended to have a STR (single thread rating) of at least 1600 for moderate games, and up to 2000 or more for the more demanding ones.  Your STR is under 1400.  So you'll either have to play it on your original PS2 or upgrade your CPU

The OP can oc that chip just fine.
LOL, ok..you suggested it! OP, go ahead and oc your CPU and let us know what happens Smile
(06-19-2017, 12:19 AM)ImChumley Wrote: [ -> ]I know that there are other threads about this but I just need help with whats going on. Im trying to play Crash bandicoot twinsanity and the speed will drop to as low as 50 and the fps to 20 or so. I dont know alot about this stuff so I looked up youtube videos on how to fix this and they had me change a bunch of settings and I was still having the problem. The only things I could find that helped was turbo mode but the textures are weird on that and the other solution was using speed hacks but it still drops when im playing. I just need settings that will work for any game I would want to play. Here are my pc specs.

8GB of ram
AMD FX-6300(CPU)
ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0(MOTHER BOARD)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (GRAPHICS CARD)
and im on windows 10.

try to overclock that CPU your gonna need a really good CPU cooler for that though even then if you had it clocked 4.3 or even 4.5ghz you still arnt guaranteed full speed with that processor your CPU has an STR of 1406 you would need 1600 to 2100 + for good performance.
Thank you mrchrismania Smile I didn't wanna come off as argumentative before, but you are exactly correct Smile
(06-19-2017, 11:50 AM)envisaged0ne Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you mrchrismania Smile I didn't wanna come off as argumentative before, but you are exactly correct Smile

Regardless it's still a viable option to possibly get playable framerates if the OP isn't in the position to upgrade.
On a personal note, and this comes from working tech support for computers, so I might have more insight than most. I NEVER recommend overclocking, esp to a novice because of the damage it can cause if you don't know what you're doing. I think it can be a reckless suggestion. And IF it's recommended, people should know what all it entails and the risk they take doing it. As mrchrismania stated, you'll need to get a really good cooler. Someone just takes the previous advice and oc there cpu without knowing any better, they just fried there CPU and the cost could end up being a lot more than a simple upgrade. I can't tell people what to do (obviously), but I discourage recommending OC unless they really know what they're doing
(06-19-2017, 03:01 PM)envisaged0ne Wrote: [ -> ]Someone just takes the previous advice and oc there cpu without knowing any better, they just fried there CPU and the cost could end up being a lot more than a simple upgrade.  

It is somewhat difficult to fry a cpu with modern hardware by overclocking these days since manufacturers started implementing various safety precautions for that very reason.  Older hardware can easily be destroyed of course. Your larger point is correct though, as an amateur overclocker can make a stable system completely unstable and even non-functional.
That's no excuse. It's always very easy to fry a couple when overclocking. Safety features such as the voltage regulator are disabled; all it takes is a voltage spike high enough to fry the CPU and it's dead. It's happened to people when booting up theirs PC's because the PSU has to send a spike of voltage to "wake" the PC for it's first commands.