..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: How ISO work?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've heard that copies of games won't work on a legal console, but how they do work on PCSX2 made by ImgBurn?
how else would you make an iso anyways ?
(10-13-2017, 01:56 PM)jesalvein Wrote: [ -> ]how else would you make an iso anyways ?

The ISO is copy, right? Then, how the emulator works with it? He should not, like a legal console. Especially raw ISO files do not store any information needed to feed PS2 copy protection system. How PCSX2 do that?
IIRC it was an hardware protection hardcoded in the DVD reader.
Pcsx2 doesn't use a PS2 DVD reader. only your PC's DVD reader (if you are using physical disc), or an iso laucnher.
(10-13-2017, 02:31 PM)jesalvein Wrote: [ -> ]IIRC it was an hardware protection hardcoded in the DVD reader.
Pcsx2 doesn't use a PS2 DVD reader. only your PC's DVD reader (if you are using physical disc), or an iso laucnher.

I've read that original PS2 discs stores special copy protection information, that cannot be copied (burned) by consumer's devices, but it can be read by them. PS2's system software makes a checks of them all the same, therefore, PCSX2 has a hook on it to support piracy, to passthrough illigal copies of a discs?
Quote:I've read that original PS2 discs stores special copy protection information, that cannot be copied (burned) by consumer's devices, but it can be read by them. PS2's system software makes a checks of them all the same
I'd like to read this too.
can you please link to source ?
We don't emulate the copy protection feature. You can use any PS2 game from any region as long as you own it Smile
You can use discs from different regions on a modded ps2. First you need to rip the game > patch the iso with ESR Disc patcher > burn it on a new dvd > launch the disc from the ESR plugin on your ps2.
(10-13-2017, 03:23 PM)jesalvein Wrote: [ -> ]I'd like to read this too.
can you please link to source ?

For prescription of years, i can not provide it. But this is a simple logical conclusion: you CAN NOT BURN disc, which WILL WORK on PS2 without illegal H/W and/or S/W applied to it, there is no special magic in this.

(10-13-2017, 03:39 PM)lightningterror Wrote: [ -> ]You can use discs from different regions on a modded ps2. First you need to rip the game > patch the iso with ESR Disc patcher > burn it on a new dvd > launch the disc from the ESR plugin on your ps2.

Is this legal?

(10-13-2017, 03:23 PM)CK1 Wrote: [ -> ]We don't emulate the copy protection feature. You can use any PS2 game from any region as long as you own it Smile

Oh, dear
I forgot to mention that you can also read ripped isos using the HDD on a fat ps2, using an USB stick, using ethernet connected to the home network or via a crossover cable connected to a pc.

Quote:Is this legal?

Well you own the console and the games so I don't see an issue why you can't do that.
Pages: 1 2 3