..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Rogue Galaxy Massive Slowdown when Changing Resolution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
First here are my specs:
FX-8350 @4.6 Ghz
R9 290 @ 1000 Mhz
8 gb of Ram
Win 7

The issue I'm having with this game is that whenever I increase the resolution above 3x native it causes a massive slowdown or crash. If it doesn't crash windows warns me that my system is running out of memory. I don't have any issue with other games running at higher than 3x, I just wish to know what is causing this issue? I thought that the Gdsx settings had to do with the gpu, why is it eating my system memory?
What are your GSdx settings?
My settings are attached. I tried turning off msaa but it really has no effect. I still can't go above 4x on this game. I'm not CPU bottlenecked either as on tubro at 3x native I can get around 200-250% speed depending on where I'm looking, so I have no idea what's causing my issues.
Give 1.5 a shot and see if anything changes.
https://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/
MSAA is a fps killer
(11-25-2017, 08:00 AM)AssassinMonLV Wrote: [ -> ]First here are my specs:
FX-8350 @4.6 Ghz
R9 290 @ 1000 Mhz
8 gb of Ram
Win 7

The issue I'm having with this game is that whenever I increase the resolution above 3x native it causes a massive slowdown or crash. If it doesn't crash windows warns me that my system is running out of memory. I don't have any issue with other games running at higher than 3x, I just wish to know what is causing this issue? I thought that the Gdsx settings had to do with the gpu, why is it eating my system memory?

GS memory can contains up to 512 (overlapped) frame buffers of 2048x2048 32 bits colors. The ways some games are emulated consumes too much memory.
(11-28-2017, 05:02 PM)vsub Wrote: [ -> ]MSAA is a fps killer

^This.

I personally only use FXAA with PCSX2 which does the job just fine for pretty much 99% of the games.
(11-29-2017, 01:35 AM)Ryudo Wrote: [ -> ]^This.

I personally only use FXAA with PCSX2 which does the job just fine for pretty much 99% of the games.

But turning MSAA off doesn't do anything to stop the massive slowdown and crashing. It has no real effect on the fps, only changing the resolution is causing the problem.

I managed to stop it from completely crashing, if I only have pcsx2 open the game can be played full speed at 4x but with tons of stuttering every few seconds when new things appear on screen.
You don't have enough memory for this level of upscaling. I don't know if the limit is the RAM (4GB because of 32 bits) or the VRAM or both.

4x requires 16 times more memory than 1x.
Well here is my result on the game while loading a random save(with nothing around me(cave))
You make your conclusions.
Native and no MSAA => 95mb 175fps
Native and 16x MSAA => 520mb 175fps
4x Scaling and no MSAA => 372mb 175fps
4x Scaling and 16 MSAA => 1.68gb 85fps

This is on GTX 1060 which is faster card than your and personally,I don't see the graphical improvements between 4x scaling and no msaa and 4x scaling and no msaa
Pages: 1 2