..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Advice for FF12 Settings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all!

So this is my first time emulating a PS2 game and only my second time emulating a game full stop. I've been looking around the web at guides and advice posts (including one immensely helpful one from these forums) and have got the game running well and looking pretty good too. I was hoping for advice on the setting i'm currently using - it may very well be that I have it looking as good as possible which is great, but thought perhaps my lack of experience with emulators might have me misunderstanding something.

My laptop specs:
Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs) ~2.6GHz
12GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M
Windows 10
And i'm using PCSX2 1.4.0
I'm trying to play FF12 IZJS from an ISO

And the settings i've fiddled with (following various posts and such)
Under system i've enabled widescreen patches
Under emulations settings - GS Window i've changed aspect ratio to 16:9, window size is 1280x720 and i've checked wait for Vsync on refresh. Speedhacks are all at recommended settings and i've enabled MTVU.

Under video plugin settings:
adapter: my graphics card, renderer: D3D11, interlacing: auto.
allow 8 bit textures is checked, internal resolution: 3xnative, texture filtering: bilinear (forced). anisotropic filtering is greyed out but says 16x. CRC hack level is at aggressive. Hardware hacks: MSAA 4x, half pixel offset and alpha are checked. I also checked enable shade boost under shader configuration.

The game looks much better after making these changes and i'm happy with how it looks - essentially i was hoping someone experienced could point out any settings I should change to make the game look better (based on what my laptop can handle). 

Thanks Smile
You could always apply an external shader and enable the FXAA shader in 'Shader Configuration'. There are quite a few external shaders on the forums so have a look. The only other thing I could suggest is to increase your resolution until you start to see your FPS drop.
I'm not familiar with FF12 but why have you set your texture filtering to 'Forced' and not 'PS2'? To me, 'PS2' looks better. And is the 'Aggressive' CRC hack more compatible than the 'Full' one? I'm just curious, since 'Full' is recommended for DX11. Also, after having a look at the Wiki for FF12, I don't know why you've got those HW hacks enabled (unless they were needed for other games). You can keep MSAA enabled though, if your laptop can handle it.

Btw, anisotropic filtering will be grayed out by default if you check 'Enable 8-bit textures'.

Download the latest PCSX2 version from here too: https://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/
Agressive CRC helps by removing the background blur on this game. Particually when you upscale the blur looks annoying.
(01-08-2018, 07:23 PM)Topken Wrote: [ -> ]Agressive CRC helps by removing the background blur on this game. Particually when you upscale the blur looks annoying.

Thanks for validating Smile
As said, I'm not familiar with the Final Fantasy series.