..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: MGS 2 - lag during olga fight
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As a new user:
- I've read all the rules.
- Looked into old posts, not all posts.

SPECS:
ASUS K75VJ
CPU: Intel Core i5-3210M
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT 365M
RAM: 8 GB

SCREENS:
1- Game screen: Link
2- GSD screen: Link
3- Emulation screen: Link

Im not planning to play other games so my goal is to find the best config for MGS2.

Thank you in advance and God bless you all.
It seems your gpu can barely run the game.
Are you sure pcsx2 is using your nvidia card(not the intel card)...the part that shows that info is not visible on your log
(08-05-2018, 03:27 PM)vsub Wrote: [ -> ]It seems your gpu can barely run the game.
Are you sure pcsx2 is using your nvidia card(not the intel card)...the part that shows that info is not visible on your log

Is this what you are talking about? Link

Thank you;
Yes but even in you choose that gpu,there is still a changce that pcsx2 will not use it.
Once you run the game,check the console window somewhere after "Opening plugins..." it will also say which gpu is actually used(I am not sure it 1.4.0 give that information)

If you are actually using your nvidia card,you can try few things and if none of them help,then you are out of luck.It simply means your gpu is not good enough for that game.

1.Go to the power options and set the power plan to High Performance(or however it is called)
2.Try the latest beta
https://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/
That version runs in portable mode so your saves from your installer version will not be loaded(you have to copy the cards from Documents\PCSX2)
don't forget to go in to Nvidia's control panel, go to manage 3d settings and you can either globally or just for PCSX2 (under program settings) change the OpenGL rendering GPU to the GT 635m and the power managment to perfer maximum power. Nvidia's optimus (power saving voodoo) does not always detect or respect that emulators actually need to use the real GPU.
Quote:Yes but even in you choose that gpu,there is still a changce that pcsx2 will not use it.
Once you run the game,check the console window somewhere after "Opening plugins..." it will also say which gpu is actually used(I am not sure it 1.4.0 give that information)

If you are actually using your nvidia card,you can try few things and if none of them help,then you are out of luck.It simply means your gpu is not good enough for that game.

1.Go to the power options and set the power plan to High Performance(or however it is called)
2.Try the latest beta
That version runs in portable mode so your saves from your installer version will not be loaded(you have to copy the cards from Documents\PCSX2)

1- I changed the power options to high.
2- I downloaded the latest:  v1.5.0-dev-2474-gca35e707c
3- The gpu used is the Nvidia Geforce: Console

Quote:don't forget to go in to Nvidia's control panel, go to manage 3d settings and you can either globally or just for PCSX2 (under program settings) change the OpenGL rendering GPU to the GT 635m and the power managment to perfer maximum power. Nvidia's optimus (power saving voodoo) does not always detect or respect that emulators actually need to use the real GPU.

1- Changed the opengl rendering GPU to GT 365m
2- Also the power management.

The result: link
Still unplayable, is there anything else i can try?

Thanks Vsub and Tk Silver;
Well that could mean again that your gpu is not good enough(99% GS is an indicator of a weak gpu).
You can try setting the VU Cycle Stealing speedhack to 1
I would try turning down your Blending settings in GSdx if you are using OpenGL
Quote:Well that could mean again that your gpu is not good enough(99% GS is an indicator of a weak gpu).

You can try setting the VU Cycle Stealing speedhack to 1

Quote:I would try turning down your Blending settings in GSdx if you are using OpenGL

Thanks to your tips i gained a little speed during Olga fight. What are other tweaks i can try?

I have two questions:

1- What's the difference between OpenGL HW and OpenGL software? What about using DirectX?
2- What does this error means in my case "microVU0 Warning: Branch, Branch, Branch! [05c8]"

PS: I'm sorry for asking old same questions, just started reading pcs2x Wiki.

Thank you Vsub, TKSilver and CK1 for your help, I appreciate it a lot.
You may gain a little speed using DirectX, but is is recommended that you use OpenGL. You could reduce the upscaling resolution as well, that should give you a speed boost.

The branch warning is nothing to worry about, it just means that the developers were evil and there's some nasty processing to do on the emulator's side of things Tongue
Pages: 1 2