..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: yet aother xenosaga post
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I did a fresh install of windows and booted directly into it. (No more wrappers or VMs.). I can configure this is scale to 3x 1080p beautifully. Unfortunately, a few known issues with this game I have been unable to solve.
  1. Puppet strings. Half pixel offsets did resolve this for a while, but after a while, the shadows just disappeared entirely, puppet strings came back, and other weird stuff happens. Skipdraw makes them go away and they SEEM to stay away with skipdraw 1:1.
  2. large black triangles appear behind characters in cinematic scenes (scripted of course, not prerendered).
  3. ghosting of characters. There is a sort of haze that sometimes appears where it looks like it is drawing a character on top of itself just a little off its original position. Characters in the background of the encephelon dive do this. In some scenes, like the realian lab, there’s a black border among the edges of the overlapping ghosted character. Virgil’s hair also shows this problem.
  4. texture offsets fix some elements while breaking others. There is no texture offset setting that fixes all of them.
  5. when the woglende is under attack, the music fails to keep tempo.  it cycles up and down.  Even if I lower the internal resolution, it doesn't change anything.
  6. is it just me, or is the double red arrow above a the status roulette supposed to be a single, solid shape?
I have never been able to emulate xenosaga on this computer for as long as I've had it, but pcsx 1.5.0 seems REALLY close.  There must be a known good configuration for this game. Help?
(03-01-2019, 08:36 AM)mentaluproar Wrote: [ -> ]I did a fresh install of windows and booted directly into it. (No more wrappers or VMs.). I can configure this is scale to 3x 1080p beautifully. Unfortunately, a few known issues with this game I have been unable to solve.
  1. Puppet strings. Half pixel offsets did resolve this for a while, but after a while, the shadows just disappeared entirely, puppet strings came back, and other weird stuff happens. Skipdraw makes them go away and they SEEM to stay away with skipdraw 1:1.
  2. large black triangles appear behind characters in cinematic scenes (scripted of course, not prerendered).
  3. ghosting of characters. There is a sort of haze that sometimes appears where it looks like it is drawing a character on top of itself just a little off its original position. Characters in the background of the encephelon dive do this. In some scenes, like the realian lab, there’s a black border among the edges of the overlapping ghosted character. Virgil’s hair also shows this problem.
  4. texture offsets fix some elements while breaking others. There is no texture offset setting that fixes all of them.
  5. when the woglende is under attack, the music fails to keep tempo.  it cycles up and down.  Even if I lower the internal resolution, it doesn't change anything.
  6. is it just me, or is the double red arrow above a the status roulette supposed to be a single, solid shape?
I have never been able to emulate xenosaga on this computer for as long as I've had it, but pcsx 1.5.0 seems REALLY close.  There must be a known good configuration for this game. Help?
Have you checked the pcsx2 wik?i I pretty sure alot these things have fixes posted there. OpenGL has less grapical issues then DX does though.
OpenGL, and Half Pixel Offset have treated me well so far but I'm also only up to the second save station. I'm guessing you're aware of the crashing problems that plague this game as well? Just remember to savestate before you activate a save station.
(03-03-2019, 09:34 PM)pandubz Wrote: [ -> ]OpenGL, and Half Pixel Offset have treated me well so far but I'm also only up to the second save station. I'm guessing you're aware of the crashing problems that plague this game as well? Just remember to savestate before you activate a save station.

OpenGL performance is a bit lower than directX, and I'm playing on a 650M so I need all the help I can get if I want to upscale.  It's the only reason I installed windows, actually, since it can't upscale in linux without major performance penalties.

Yes, I found the save problem. -_-  It was like a booby trap.  Save, -crash-, PS2 browser loads.  Such a weird way to crash out.

I know a more powerful computer would probably help, but its so close I really think this is something I can fix in software if I knew what I was doing.
(03-03-2019, 09:43 PM)mentaluproar Wrote: [ -> ]OpenGL performance is a bit lower than directX, and I'm playing on a 650M so I need all the help I can get if I want to upscale.  It's the only reason I installed windows, actually, since it can't upscale in linux without major performance penalties.

Yes, I found the save problem. -_-  It was like a booby trap.  Save, -crash-, PS2 browser loads.  Such a weird way to crash out.

I know a more powerful computer would probably help, but its so close I really think this is something I can fix in software if I knew what I was doing.

Ah, if you need the DirectX boost then yeah I suppose not much choice there, but just be aware there may be a few graphical defects that come along with it, and unfortunately in those cases "use OpenGL", or "use native resolution" are about the best advice we can give.

Yeah I am actually trying to do a little debugging and while I have yet to identify the source of the problem, the "crash" to the browser is the game calling the "exit" syscall, which basically tells the PS2 BIOS "I am done now, kill me and restart your browser".
(03-03-2019, 09:53 PM)pandubz Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, if you need the DirectX boost then yeah I suppose not much choice there, but just be aware there may be a few graphical defects that come along with it, and unfortunately in those cases "use OpenGL", or "use native resolution" are about the best advice we can give.

Yeah I am actually trying to do a little debugging and while I have yet to identify the source of the problem, the "crash" to the browser is the game calling the "exit" syscall, which basically tells the PS2 BIOS "I am done now, kill me and restart your browser".

Why in hell would it call that?  Is it a crappy form of copy protection?  It is possible to add a game fix where pcsx2 flat out ignores that call?
(03-03-2019, 09:55 PM)mentaluproar Wrote: [ -> ]Why in hell would it call that?  Is it a crappy form of copy protection?  It is possible to add a game fix where pcsx2 flat out ignores that call?

It is the very last step in a long chain of failover code in the game. Something, somewhere, is very unhappy to be set off at these save stations, and the game goes into full Windows BSOD "we're shutting down, but we promise it's to protect things from breaking any further" mode. Unfortunately it's probably more involved than just noping out a few instructions in a patch, and I am just getting started on tracing it back, with no sign of the starting cause anywhere yet.
(03-03-2019, 10:34 PM)pandubz Wrote: [ -> ]It is the very last step in a long chain of failover code in the game. Something, somewhere, is very unhappy to be set off at these save stations, and the game goes into full Windows BSOD "we're shutting down, but we promise it's to protect things from breaking any further" mode. Unfortunately it's probably more involved than just noping out a few instructions in a patch, and I am just getting started on tracing it back, with no sign of the starting cause anywhere yet.

you looking to what cause that save crash??

Last I heard from dev's was fix that crash would break a whole lot of other games and they didnt want to do that frankly the crash isnt that bad once you know which nodes crash. majority of the save nodes works