..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: VirtualBox with Win7 guest
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,
I cannot install PCSX2 on my system so I used virtualBox with Win7 as guest OS.
I'm running it on a MacBook Pro.

I got Gran Turismo 2 iso from my old GT2 disc and I'm able to run it but when I play it's really slow.
I run it in window, 640x480 and in the upper part I see that the game is running at 50% of the speed while in the menu' all is fine (100%).

The virtualBox machine has 8GB of ram, 256 of video ram and 4 cpu.
Is it possible to run the game in a smoother way?

[attachment=68772]
[attachment=68773]
[attachment=68774]
[attachment=68775]
1 - PS1 emulation with pcsx2 is far from being perfect.
2 - 256 VRAM won't be enough
3 - dunno which cpu it it, but I think it won't be enough. MacBooks tend to be quite weak for emulation
Just a fair warning: never attempt to emulate in a virtualization environment. That will cause unstable speed. Your host OS needs resource to virtualize another OS in a container and emulation will require even more resource on top of that. Since you are running Mac, dual-boot with Windows on Bootcamp and use a PSX emulator like ePSXe for now. PCSX2 will get better PSX emulation, but it won't be happening any time soon. There are codes that yet to be implemented and thus, low accuracy. It's just like writing a brand new emulator.
Wait wasn't it possible to install a dual boot of MacOS and Win7 on Mac Hardware, especially since the later models are just PC's (Hardware wise).
yes.
bootcamp is the way to go
Virtualbox is great for server or multimedia based OS, but gaming on it is near impossible (except if your are on Linux with IOMMU or VT-D).
Ok, I thought that ps2 emulation was quite "old topic" so today hardware was able to run ps2 emulation without issue but I made a wrong assumption.
No idea that ps2 emulation is something resource consuming.
Do you think I will have better experience using Pcsx2 osx version?
deifnitely not the native osx version

maybe the wineskin port...

but windows version is still miles ahead
The PCSX2 OSX version is horribly out of date.

Running any emulator in a VirtualBox guest OS is going to be abysmal no matter what you do, as VirtualBox does not, without some serious tweaking anyways, allow direct GPU access for the guest OS. It will be awful in just about all scenarios.

The Windows builds run almost flawlessly when executed inside Wineskin with no significant performance losses. Try this before any other options.
(04-10-2019, 05:32 PM)pandubz Wrote: [ -> ]The PCSX2 OSX version is horribly out of date.

Running any emulator in a VirtualBox guest OS is going to be abysmal no matter what you do, as VirtualBox does not, without some serious tweaking anyways, allow direct GPU access for the guest OS. It will be awful in just about all scenarios.

The Windows builds run almost flawlessly when executed inside Wineskin with no significant performance losses. Try this before any other options.

Ok, let's try with wineskin.
There is a pcsX2 linux version? Is it better than windows one?
Pages: 1 2