..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: ICO lighting effects on PAL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First of all, thanks so much for PCSX2, it's amazing.

Title says it all, I wish to use the european version of Ico, because of the updated textures, added multiplayer and other extras. 

All of it looks great, but the godrays (the light effects that you see through the trees on the intro are not showing, even though they do show on the american release. Weirdly enough there are cast shadows that actually enhance the game. 

Just wanted to let you know. Also, during the intro of the cutscene the framerate dips every now and again using x3, but it doesn't on x2 native. The game itself runs smoothly on x3, so now I have to choose between good looking gameplay and stuttering cutscenes, or blurry-ish gameplay with smooth cutscenes.. Would it be possible to get a feature where the game runs on one aspect ratio for the cutscenes, but switches to another during gameplay? 

TLDR: the lighting looks different on the EU/PAL release of ICO. Also better shadows on PAL version somehow. 

- Reason to play this version and why it matters: Better textures than the USA version, and multiplayer, and alternative ending!
If cutscznes are FMVs (i dont have this game, so cant test out), you can try using the gamefix that switches to software mode for fmvs
(01-10-2020, 07:55 PM)jesalvein Wrote: [ -> ]If cutscznes are FMVs (i dont have this game, so cant test out), you can try using the gamefix that switches to software mode for fmvs

I tried, think it's the same engine, good call tho! Any idea why the game doesnt have the light effects the USA version has?
can't tell.
maybe they removed it because the PAL format had some limitations to render them correctly
just my 2 cents though.
When I play the game in software mode it doesn't show the godrays either, must mean you're right! However, it does come with shadows the NTSC version doesn't show, so I guess I'll have to deal with it. Close the thread please, it's solved!

Quick question: Could someone make a 21/9 hack for ico? I couldn't figure out how to mod the original widescreen hack code.. I think it would be perfect for it! <3