..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: AURAP (Another Useless Rant About Pcsx2)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(03-28-2020, 07:33 PM)vsub Wrote: [ -> ]Ask amd to make better opengl drivers because that's the problem,they don't perform as good as those for the nvidia cards
I can understand AMD may not have great opengl drivers, but haven't they been sorting that out? How long I've been hearing this is crazy! Anyways I have a 1080Ti with a 3600x, 16gb ddr4 3600mhz and a 1tb SSD and OpenGL in PCSX2 is buggy for me too... Always choppy or stuttering every few seconds. I do not understand why as GPU usage is pretty much on a par with DX11. I think the synchronisation of the OpenGL renderer is broken.
Please post the contents of the emulog.txt file after the problem occurs. The file can be found in "My Documents\PCSX2\logs" for the installer version or in "PCSX2\logs" for the portable/binary version.

Please make sure to enclose your emulog in code tags like so (remove the empty space on the closing code tag!):
[code]
Pasted emulog goes here
[ /code]
(04-15-2020, 07:43 PM)JetSetter84 Wrote: [ -> ]I can understand AMD may not have great opengl drivers, but haven't they been sorting that out? How long I've been hearing this is crazy! Anyways I have a 1080Ti with a 3600x, 16gb ddr4 3600mhz and a 1tb SSD and OpenGL in PCSX2 is buggy for me too... Always choppy or stuttering every few seconds. I do not understand why as GPU usage is pretty much on a par with DX11. I think the synchronisation of the OpenGL renderer is broken.

AMD has sorted out a number of problems concerning graphics quality when using the OpenGL API but has not made any efforts to resolve threading/efficiency problems in the driver. Most emulation communities have been telling AMD users to use any rendering API other than OpenGL for some time now. This is completely aside from the recent stability problems that they have had as well.

If you truly believe that there is a technical issue with PCSX2's renderer implementations, could you provide us with some details?
Thank you for the reply. The problem is that opengl will load and run fine, but with intermittent stutters or general choppiness during gameplay. It does not coincide with more demanding areas in games, just seems completely random as to when it will stutter or go choppy for a few seconds. I do not have this issue in other emulators such as PPSSPP which is what leads me to believe it is the synchronisation that is not working as intended. Would a log file explain anything, because according to PCSX2 the framerate is consistently 60fps and the vu and ee both show at most 40-50% usage.
Er.... Is Ppsspp a ps2 emulator ?
(04-16-2020, 05:08 PM)JetSetter84 Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the reply. The problem is that opengl will load and run fine, but with intermittent stutters or general choppiness during gameplay. It does not coincide with more demanding areas in games, just seems completely random as to when it will stutter or go choppy for a few seconds. I do not have this issue in other emulators such as PPSSPP which is what leads me to believe it is the synchronisation that is not working as intended. Would a log file explain anything, because according to PCSX2 the framerate is consistently 60fps and the vu and ee both show at most 40-50% usage.

Unfortunately a log file will not tell us anything. Comparisons to other emulators are equally useless. The kind of information we would need would be some kind of exploration into PCSX2 code to find problematic areas, perhaps with VBLANK timings or MTGS, accompanied by test results showing some kind of change in behavior when those components are modified in some way. General descriptions of "synchronization" issues tell us almost nothing, and I would instead have to believe that you are just picking up on the inherent internal frame drops that many games are known to do naturally on their own.

A key detail to remember is that unlike a lot of emulators which have a much easier time detecting precise frame timings, the PS2 provides almost no way at all to actually measure any kind of frame pacing aside from VBLANKs, which tell us nothing about how fast a game is producing its frames, only how fast the PS2 itself is pushing them to the screen. An exploration into actual synchronization problems, which we are not afraid to admit may very well exist, is going to require a lot of code evaluation and test results.