..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Xbox 360 wired controllers (non-usb) and playing PCSX2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.

I got 1.60 recently sorted from a problem and is working fine now (don't know how but it fixed itself), and I have 2 xbox 360 wireless controllers I wish to use with this emulator for games.

I am seeking some help on how to find out how to connect them to my laptop and make them work but do not know what leads/cables, whatever I need to plug them into the usb ports in my laptop.

Does anybody have some suggestions for a newbie who is not massively pc literate and just wants to have a bit of nostalgia?

Thanks in advance.
First, your question:  you want to connect an Xbox 360 wireless controller to your pc?  Fine, but you'll need the corresponding wireless receiver (found here:  https://www.amazon.com/Third-Party-Wirel...90&sr=8-10)

Note that the above link is for a generic, non-Microsoft receiver (you can still find OEM wireless receivers, but expect to be gouged on the price, as the Xbox 360 controllers are older and Microsoft is now focusing on newer controllers).

Your wireless controllers will not work without that wireless receiver, so buy a wireless receiver, then follow the installation instructions and you should be good to go.

As for any further advice or suggestions...do some reading online and research the programs you're interested in using (in this case, PCSX2).  You need to do this to familiarize yourself with your pc, especially if you intend to continue using it.  As for PCSX2 "fixing itself", that's worrying.  I mean, that usually means you don't know how or why the problem appeared, or was resolved, which *usually* means you'll probably have more trouble with the emulator down the road.  What I suggest is to read the helpful setup guide and follow the instructions.  If you get stuck after following the instructions, people are more likely to want to help than if you didn't take the time to read the guides.  There's no shame in being a newbie (we all were, at one time or another), but that's not a free pass for willingly remaining ignorant, either.

Also, Google.com is your friend (seriously...if you go to Google.com and type in "how can I connect my Xbox 360 wireless controller to my pc", you would have seen your answer pop up right away).  You did say you're not too pc literate, so I suggest you make Google.com your new best friend when you have any computer questions (you'd be surprised how useful it can be).

Hope that helps.
Hi.

The controllers are wired original xbox 360.

Other than that I just keep reading .
Okay...let me get this straight:  your Xbox 360 controllers are wired, right?  By "WIRED", I mean there's a non-detachable cable coming out of the controller itself.  The reason I ask is that there's a device called a "Play and Charge" cable for Xbox 360 wireless controllers that is available, and if that's what you're trying to use, technically you're still using WIRELESS controllers (I know, it's stupid, but that's Microsoft for you).  So, once again, if you're using a "Play and Charge" cable, you WILL need to get a wireless receiver first, then install the driver, THEN your "Play and Charge" cable will work just like a real, wired controller.  If, on the other hand, you have a real, wired controller, all you have to do is plug it into a free USB port on your computer.  I'm not sure what version of Windows you're using (I'd guess either Windows 7 or 10).  If you want to do it the easy way, just plug the controller into a free USB port, then, when Windows squawks about a missing driver, let it check online and it will download the correct driver from Microsoft (the computer must have internet access in order to check online, of course).  After a few minutes, Windows will notify you that the driver installed correctly and your Xbox 360 controllers will work just fine.  Once you've gotten the controller working in Windows, then you have to actually configure the controller in the emulator (which is actually pretty simple).

I suggest you try the easier method of plugging it in and letting Windows download and install the driver first.  If that method doesn't work for you, you'll need to manually download and install the Xbox 360 controller driver, but you need to know which version of Windows you're running (and whether it's 32 bit or 64 bit).  If you need to download the driver manually, get it here:  https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en...or-windows

Also note that the above link is for Windows 7/Vista/XP, so if you're on Windows 10 that link won't work for your OS.  I'm on Windows 7, and I remember way back when I first connected an Xbox 360 wired controller to my pc, I just let Windows 7 search online and install the correct driver, so it *should* work fine for you also if you choose to do it that way.

Good luck, and if you have any trouble setting it up just post again and I'll do my best to help.
(06-03-2020, 05:30 AM)Bwah117 Wrote: [ -> ]Okay...let me get this straight:  your Xbox 360 controllers are wired, right?  By "WIRED", I mean there's a non-detachable cable coming out of the controller itself.  The reason I ask is that there's a device called a "Play and Charge" cable for Xbox 360 wireless controllers that is available, and if that's what you're trying to use, technically you're still using WIRELESS controllers (I know, it's stupid, but that's Microsoft for you).  So, once again, if you're using a "Play and Charge" cable, you WILL need to get a wireless receiver first, then install the driver, THEN your "Play and Charge" cable will work just like a real, wired controller.  If, on the other hand, you have a real, wired controller, all you have to do is plug it into a free USB port on your computer.  I'm not sure what version of Windows you're using (I'd guess either Windows 7 or 10).  If you want to do it the easy way, just plug the controller into a free USB port, then, when Windows squawks about a missing driver, let it check online and it will download the correct driver from Microsoft (the computer must have internet access in order to check online, of course).  After a few minutes, Windows will notify you that the driver installed correctly and your Xbox 360 controllers will work just fine.  Once you've gotten the controller working in Windows, then you have to actually configure the controller in the emulator (which is actually pretty simple).

I suggest you try the easier method of plugging it in and letting Windows download and install the driver first.  If that method doesn't work for you, you'll need to manually download and install the Xbox 360 controller driver, but you need to know which version of Windows you're running (and whether it's 32 bit or 64 bit).  If you need to download the driver manually, get it here:  https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en...or-windows

Also note that the above link is for Windows 7/Vista/XP, so if you're on Windows 10 that link won't work for your OS.  I'm on Windows 7, and I remember way back when I first connected an Xbox 360 wired controller to my pc, I just let Windows 7 search online and install the correct driver, so it *should* work fine for you also if you choose to do it that way.

Good luck, and if you have any trouble setting it up just post again and I'll do my best to help.
Allow me to add to this post: if you're running Windows 8 or older, you won't need to install any drivers. Just plug in your wireless adapter and play away (Lilypad detects Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers on the fly - no config needed unless you want to change inputs. As an alternative you can use Pokopom).