..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Poor performance when running certain games at 4K
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I've recently managed to eliminate the stuttering when playing ALL the PS2 games on PCSX 1.6.0 (Stable) - for some reason, I cannot use OpenGL (HW) and have to resort to D3D (HW) + Adaptive V-Sync instead or else the periodical stuttering, which is not related to any additional settings, will occur. I have the latest nVidia drivers installed on my PC, "let the 3D app decide" + control panel settings being on default.

I can run certain games at 4K or even 8K (6x - 8x internal scaling) with no apparent performance drops using D3D + mostly default PCSX2 settings (SSX 3, Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes), while some other games exhibit marked slowdowns or gameplay-affecting frame rate drops at 4K or even 1440p with GPU usage reaching 100% (God of War 2, Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast, Soulcalibur 3) and only lowering resolution to 1080p seems to help. GS and EE oscilating around 10-30 at 4K.

Is this a normal PCSX2 behavior to experience such a robust performance difference between certain games or is there something else going on (GPU drivers, wrong settings, etc.)? Is my PC configuration (Ryzen 5 3600 + GTX 1660 Super) good enough to run PCSX2 PS2 games at 4K or do I have to run them at 1440p or 1080p to get a stable performance?

Thank you in advance for your answers.
Yes, it's normal. Some games run fine at very high resolutions and others don't.

Really just depends on the game. Emulation is weird Tongue
(09-05-2020, 12:36 AM)Zangetsu21 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, it's normal. Some games run fine at very high resolutions and others don't.

Really just depends on the game. Emulation is weird Tongue

Does running a PSCX2 in windowed mode make any difference with regards to performance? I've only tested it using a full screen mode, but there are some youtube videos of guys with worse PC configurations running these problematic games at 4K in windowed mode with no performance issues whatsoever.
As far as I know it doesn't make a difference. I've played around with many different games in Window and Fullscreen and I never felt that it made a difference. Also, be careful with some of those YouTube videos, a lot of them are edited and misleading.

Sadly, it's hard to tell with emulation. I've had great performance in games where people with better setups than me had issues and vice versa.