..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Pitfall still not working despite progress report stating otherwise
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A long time ago, I decided to try playing Pitfall - The Lost Expedition since it was a childhood favorite growing up, however it had an issue on PCSX2 where starting a new game would cause an infinite black screen.  It had a somewhat inferior GameCube port, but unfortunately it was incompatible with Dolphin for a completely different reason.

I saw the recent progress report and was interested to see the part that said:

[Accuracy Enhancement] #3539 VIF: VIF MSCAL instructions wait on VU T-Bit stop. By refractionpcsx2.
Fixes the following games from crashing, and removes gamedb patches for them since they now work properly:
  • The Sims
  • Spiderman 3
  • Sharks Tale
  • Maybe some bits of Over the Hedge
  • Pitfall (both demo and full game)
  • Gumball 3000
  • Enter the Matrix
  • Evolution Snowboarding
Pitfall is finally fixed!  So I set up the latest 1.7.0 build and booted up Pitfall, only to be greeted by the same exact black screen problem as before.  The log spams "Interrupt bit is set!!!" for a while then prints "Call Stack Overflow (report if it fixes/breaks anything)" and from here on there's no log activity, the music constantly looping in the background.  I know this is the same problem because just like before, enabling "Ignore DMAC writes when it is busy" still causes it to progress a bit further then the same black screen occurs.  I looked at a list of all PS2 games, and The Lost Expedition was the only Pitfall game released for PS2, so I know the progress report was referring to this one.

So, what's the deal?  Why is it still broken?  Was "Pitfall (both demo and full game)" a typo and you meant to type a different game's title?

The log is normal other than the spam and error I described, so there's no point in providing one.  It's the same issue as before, just look at logs provided for this issue in the past and you'll see my log.

Edit: I should mention that the progress report states the Harry Potter games have also been fixed, and those DO work now. So I know I'm playing on the right build.
Can you post which 1.7 build you use?
Like "PCSX2 1.7.0-20200926041327 - compiled on Sep 26 2020"
or "v1.7.0-dev-374-g85c1aca70"
Currently running 1.7.0-dev-349-g441602aee
Can you give your game serial and CRC as well? It would be easier if you posted a log snippet for us.
The game's serial is SLUS_204.08 if that's what you mean.  If by CRC you mean CRC-32 file hash, that's 9cbe62be according to a hash checker website.

Edit:  I tried launching the game again to get a log.  It actually progressed further this time, then displayed extremely corrupted graphics for a few seconds, then PCSX2 completely crashed, complete with a "pcsx2.exe has stopped working" message.  The only difference between this launch and the previous launch is that I used software rendering this time.  Log is attatched though.
Same thing is happening to me. Using the latest dev build. It will just freeze up, and not always at the same spot. Sometimes it freezes right at the title screen. Sometimes I can make it to the fight sequence with the giant cat before it freezes up.
Must be a very specific regression that happened right after the progress report was made. Either that or an edge case with specific hardware. Do you have an Intel processor/NVIDIA graphics card combo?
(10-03-2020, 01:30 AM)goody_fyre11 Wrote: [ -> ]Must be a very specific regression that happened right after the progress report was made.  Either that or an edge case with specific hardware.  Do you have an Intel processor/NVIDIA graphics card combo?

Yeap.  I have an intel i7-10700 with a NVidia RTX 2060
Where did you get your build of PCSX2? because I'm running the exact same version of the game and it works fine on recent builds.

If you're building yourself, maybe try getting a clean repo and doing a full rebuild.

Edit: just tried our official development builds from here: https://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/

That's fine too. So I dunno what you've done.
I set up the latest PCSX2 build on that page, but the problem still happens. Does it require any special settings to work? The fact that it's happening to at least one other person means the problem isn't with anything on my end. Also, like before, enabling "Ignore DMAC writes when it is busy" lets it progress a bit further then it freezes.

Edit: I kept launching the game, and one of the times it actually froze on the title screen. So it's regressed even more.

Edit 2: Okay, this is interesting. After disabling multi-threading (MTVU), the game works fine, but it's really slow since it's only using one thread. Now this is something to work off of.
Pages: 1 2