..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: My new fork of PCSX2 makes 1.6.0 compatible with Windows XP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello PCSX2 community, i have been working on a big project for me these last months, and you're read it on the title: I've forked/modified the latest version of PCSX2, v1.6.0 released in May 2020, to make it work again under the Windows XP operating system, as the official support by the developers was dropped back in Mar 2016.

I still have intestest with Windows XP, so i started researching the code and to consider the options i had to make it compatible again. What i did is, modify first the older versions to make them work, and keep advancing to newer and newer versions until i reached the May 2020 version. Wasn't an easy task at all, as there was four years of development beween the two stable versions (v1.4.0 and v.1.6.0). Well to sum up, after lots of patience and dedication, i reached my goal. my v1.6.0 version is up and running perfectly fine under XP.

I've tried to make the code as original as possible, so only 23 commit reverts were done to recover the compatibility. Also, the DirectX side of GSDx had to go, as the dx9 renderer was long removed and dx11 isn't compatible with xp. I can tell you many more details about the development if this project is well received under this forum community. This project is not affiliated with the official PCSX2 developers, but i totally respect them and they are the ones to really credit for how an awesome emulator they're making.

The code is mainly available at github: https://github.com/blueclouds8666/pcsx2_XP
and also on my website: http://neonfloppy.sytes.net/projects/pcsx2-xp/

if you want to know about my future projects or are interested on xp/7 stuff, you may join our discord server: https://discord.gg/KXKXcs4
I hope you all like it.
[Image: screenshot.png]
hello friend, I fully support you since these people removed the support for windows 7 with the excuse that microsoft removed the updates badly for them since it is an operating system with potential. (a microsoft strategy to get them to buy your buggy operating system, but not compatible with classic games, programs, etc. neither running with previous operating system compatibility works.)

I fully support you, do not give up, thank you for returning the nostalgia, you are the best. please don't forget windows 7
(10-15-2020, 01:12 AM)josebraund Wrote: [ -> ]hello friend, I fully support you since these people removed the support for windows 7 with the excuse that microsoft removed the updates badly for them since it is an operating system with potential. (a microsoft strategy to get them to buy your buggy operating system, but not compatible with classic games, programs, etc. neither running with previous operating system compatibility works.)

What exactly are you trying to suggest?
hello well what I wrote was to the user that published the topic what I try to say is not to give up because what he is really doing is a complex process and takes a lot of time, if you have my support
I directly asked you what you were trying to say in the quoted part and instead you addressed the second part that I didn't quote.

I asked because it seemed like you were suggesting that we dropped support for win7 solely because it doesn't get updates which is factually inaccurate. You describe this as an "excuse". You also seemed to be suggesting that we are colluding with MS in some conspiracy to get people to use a particular operating system. Just want to make sure I'm not misrepresenting your viewpoint before I address it.

To be clear, if people want to maintain their own forks with support for older operating systems, I see no issue with that as long as they abide by our license.
Quote:(a microsoft strategy to get them to buy your buggy operating system, but not compatible with classic games, programs, etc. neither running with previous operating system compatibility works.)
looks like software lifecycle is something you are unable to understand....
it has always been this way and will always be.
MS doesn't support win 3.1 anymore
Apple doesn't support OS2 anymore either
Debian etch isn't supported anymore, etc...

why ? because maintaining older versions for a few users that want it will be expensive, time/manpower consuming, for something that eventually isn't worh the shot.

That said, since nowadays, many people easily believe conspiracy's everywhere, illuminatis are watching us, 'insert here any basic cliché', i guess your reaction isn't that surprising.
(10-15-2020, 06:56 AM)jesalvein Wrote: [ -> ]looks like software lifecycle is something you are unable to understand....
it has always been this way and will always be.
MS doesn't support win 3.1 anymore
Apple doesn't support OS2 anymore either
Debian etch isn't supported anymore, etc...

why ? because maintaining older versions for a few users that want it will be expensive, time/manpower consuming, for something that eventually isn't worh the shot.

That said, since nowadays, many people easily believe conspiracy's everywhere, illuminatis are watching us, 'insert here any basic cliché', i guess your reaction isn't that surprising.
the xbox 360 emulator previously worked on W. 8.1 and 10 recognized their error and now they are with windows 7 as well. (and xenia emulator asks for higher requirements than PS2  Blush )

[attachment=72074]

I hope you don't take long.  
and we are not few Cool (We are millions who use the operating system without being guided by other people. Cool)
What's the link between Xenia and pcsx2 ?
It's an irrelevant comparison
Man, the tinfoil hat is strong in this thread...
(10-15-2020, 10:23 PM)jesalvein Wrote: [ -> ]What's the link between Xenia and pcsx2 ?
It's an irrelevant comparison

it is not a comparison see the logic ,
don't be stubborn and cling to a single idea or thing (a man full of young life don't fall into that loop.)
I just want those of us who don't have a superior team like yours to give it a chance.
Pages: 1 2 3