..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: New to emulation/PCs in general
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just downloaded the PCSX2 emulator from the official site, and have all my old PS2 games that I am able to use with it that I've made into ISO files. I just don't know how to optimize the settings to help with the major frame rate drops, or if my hardware just can't handle it. I've tried looking around on forums/other google results and haven't had any luck. Any and all advice/help is appreciated...Thank you!

The games I've tried with major frame rate drops:
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1 & 2
Champions of Norrath & Return to Arms
FF7 Dirge of Cerberus
LoTR The Return of the King

My ASUS ROG GL552VW specs are:
Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2592 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
16.0 GB RAM
64-bit Windows 10
Intel® HD Graphics 530
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
run it on the desktop
Did you plug into the mains and adjust your power plan to max ? Your hardwares is weak therefore the frame drop in games.
The default setting for pcsx2 is best to start with most games.
I have the same laptop, set your power plan to high performance.

Try running at native with the recommended speed hacks and try with MTVU enabled and disabled to see which performs better.

Once you have the game running smoothly, check how far you can push the resolution, on my laptop I usually run it at x3 (720p I think)

I tend to use D3D11 but OpenGL is generally much better with Nvidia gpu's.

Sadly, performance will suffer on a laptop compared to a PC, especially since the system requirements went up with version 1.6.