..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Call of Duty 2 Big Red One Tweaking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After messing with various settings in release 1.6.0 of PCSX2 while playing CoD2 Big Red One I've discovered how to coax the game into becoming almost playable with near 100% speed most of the time, including 100% speed sometimes. The very first level of the game seems to be almost unplayable regardless of the settings, but from my testing this seems to be the only level with such poor performance. The first level is best completed in software mode as this has the least slowdown. Further levels (I have only made it to the 4th level so far, will attempt to complete the game) seem to run relatively ok in OpenGL HW mode, Dx11 HW mode is still broken and just spits out constant out of memory errors. Textures in HW mode are still corrupt. To get the best performance in OpenGL HW mode I set EE Cyclerate and EE Cycle Skipping to their maximum setting and turned on MTVU in the speedhacks section of Emulation Settings. Unfortunately these must be turned off/set to default when loading between levels or the game will hang until you do reset them. If the developers could figure out what's causing the hangs and corrupted textures than this game would be very playable now. I have read in other posts that the corrupt textures are a common issue in other Treyarch developed PS2 games.

My Specs
Ryzen 2600 @ 3.8ghz
MSI RTX 2070 TriFrozr Stock Clocks
32gb DDR4 3000mhz
PCSX2 Release version 1.6.0
PCSX2 HW Internal Resolution set to 3x Native 1080p
Allow 8 bit textures and large framebuffer on
All other settings besides the speed hacks mentioned in main post are default
Tried latest dev build ?
(01-03-2021, 07:12 PM)jesalvein Wrote: [ -> ]Tried latest dev build ?

Did previously use dev 672 but there was no change compared to release 1.6.0, I just downloaded dev 829 and the performance is slightly improved in OpenGL HW but the first level is still borderline unplayable, running about 70% speed, textures still corrupt. Software mode actually slower now in the first level than OGLHW. The level titled Liberators seems to have the most improvement in dev 829. In 1.6.0 HW mode is unplayable, single digit fps. In 829 performance is 100% speed give or take. Tested the first level with Dx11 HW mode and it is no longer bugged, and actually seems to get superior performance, keeping above 80% speed. Previously mentioned speed hacks reduce performance in Dx11HW.
Alright Alright, So me myself love the Call Of Duty series and could recall was being able to play it on PCSX2.... then I remembered! Reading up how 1.6.0 of the application doesn't work with its graphical issues n such. The images I provided show after simply downloading the nightly version of PCSX2 (1.7.4) and setting it up, WORK LOVELY! The pictures are a simple before & after on the menus that were a big issue before showing a slightly sharper image, using 3x native 1080p... Only issue I seen is after switching to "Hardware" mode it sets it automatically back to software during the opening cutscene, Of course you're allowed to manually set it.. Maybe to improve fps? not quite sure, but I hope downloading the nightly version of pcsx2 works out for you!  Tongue
The most recent post in this thread is more than 8 months old. Please create a new thread and refrain from posting in threads older than 8 months in the future. Please also review the forum rules. Thank you.