..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Several issues with the input system
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
These aren't issues because they're bugs, but because they're either not implemented or need to be improved.

1. Controllers plugged in after the emulator is started aren't recognized until the emulator is completely closed then re-opened.  If I set Controller 1 to use a button on a device, the emulator should recognize that the device just got plugged in and should start accepting input for it.  I've lost count of the times I've gotten ingame to test something, only for me to realize "Oh, my controller wasn't plugged in, time to close out of the emulator again."

2. The input lag.  Dear God there's WAY too much input lag.  I'm in several speedrunning communities that would love to use the PS2 versions of games, however the input lag makes them turn to the GameCube versions and emulate them on Dolphin because that emulator has no noticeable input lag.  It's not that this is accurate to original hardware, I recently did a comparison, and a real PS2 has significantly less input lag than PCSX2.  I know dozens of people that would be very appreciative of an input lag reduction update.

3. No vibration.  For some reason, starting back during the early 1.5.0 builds, my DS4 controller stopped working with controller vibration.  Shortly after that, I stopped seeing vibration options at all.  Some game elements (like the safe-cracking in Sly 3) rely heavily on vibration, so it's something that needs to be added or fixed if it's supposed to be working.
First of all, there is no point comparing emulators. On 1.6 and 1.7 my vibration is fine on DS4, seems you have an issue on your computer: https://gamepad-tester.com/ to test it out. Make sure to disable Dinput in lilypad.

I use mine in bluetooth, 3-4 MS which is plenty enough for Input Latency, however frame timings were improved in the development builds and vsyncs in MTGS queue in emulation settings - GS..
https://prnt.sc/10qcr58
(03-19-2021, 11:56 PM)goody_fyre11 Wrote: [ -> ]These aren't issues because they're bugs, but because they're either not implemented or need to be improved.

1. Controllers plugged in after the emulator is started aren't recognized until the emulator is completely closed then re-opened.  If I set Controller 1 to use a button on a device, the emulator should recognize that the device just got plugged in and should start accepting input for it.  I've lost count of the times I've gotten ingame to test something, only for me to realize "Oh, my controller wasn't plugged in, time to close out of the emulator again."
that would need a constant monitoring in background.
I'd have to try again, but i think it's the same on original hardware, though. if it's the case, that would mean it's accurate.
Quote:2. The input lag.  Dear God there's WAY too much input lag.  I'm in several speedrunning communities that would love to use the PS2 versions of games, however the input lag makes them turn to the GameCube versions and emulate them on Dolphin because that emulator has no noticeable input lag.  It's not that this is accurate to original hardware, I recently did a comparison, and a real PS2 has significantly less input lag than PCSX2.  I know dozens of people that would be very appreciative of an input lag reduction update.
1.7 builds + mtgs queue are here to save you
Quote:3. No vibration.  For some reason, starting back during the early 1.5.0 builds, my DS4 controller stopped working with controller vibration.  Shortly after that, I stopped seeing vibration options at all.  Some game elements (like the safe-cracking in Sly 3) rely heavily on vibration, so it's something that needs to be added or fixed if it's supposed to be working.
rumble works perfectly here with my gamepad.
so i guess it's not a bug on pcsx2's side
That gamepad tester website showed no input lag, also I wasn't comparing Dolphin to PCSX2 in general, just comparing input lag between emulators when using the same hardware and same controller.

If I disable DirectInput in PCSX2, it no longer recognizes my DS4 controller at all. It sees no controllers plugged in. If I use DS4Windows, it sees an Xinput controller, but the vibration options become grayed out. If I re-enable DirectInput, it's able to see my DS4 controller again. Note that the controller checker website shows that this is a controller that supports Xinput, so I don't know why it's doing this. It's a standard PS4 controller. The website also shows "n/a" for vibration, which obviously isn't correct.

Sure, the goal of PCSX2 is to be accurate to original hardware, but if original hardware has a lot of input lag, shouldn't the emulator improve upon that?

I lowered MTGS queue from 2 to 1, I'll see if that makes any difference.

Dolphin has a "Background Input" option that allows the emulator to work with controllers plugged in while the program is in use, I was hoping PCSX2 would adopt an option like that.
Update: DS4Windows was using the "Xinput Pad 0" instead of adding a new device to the list, it works and has proper vibration. The problem is, PCSX2 used to support vibration on this controller with DirectInput and without DS4Windows.

Also, I tried lowering MTGS queue from 2 to 1. It barely made a difference at all. It might've improved a little, but from a quick comparison, SSX 3 on Dolphin still has about a third of the input lag PCSX2 has when running SSX 3. Still WAY too much. Going back to my point earlier, just because real hardware has a lot of input lag doesn't mean that it's okay because it's accurate to original hardware. If PCSX2 aimed to be 100% accurate to original hardware, many graphics options like Internal Resolution and Anisotropic Filtering wouldn't exist since a real PS2 doesn't have those.
We can't just code the game to have less input lag than the real HW, this is emulation. Though in future it maybe possibile to pre-cache controller inputs before the actual frames so the perception looks better. But that's just being hopeful.