..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Wrong Cpu speed detection
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The emu has a bug in the speed detection. Look the picture below, I don't own a 8Ghz CPU. Mine it's at 3Ghz xDDD
Hmmm, I thought they fixed that reading bug awhile ago Tongue2

But 8Ghz is almost feasible now! A few overclocking teams have managed to get the Phenom II X4 955 to ~7Ghz O.o
(05-13-2009, 06:46 AM)skoreanime Wrote: [ -> ]Hmmm, I thought they fixed that reading bug awhile ago Tongue2

But 8Ghz is almost feasible now! A few overclocking teams have managed to get the Phenom II X4 955 to ~7Ghz O.o

It was around 6 GHZ they got it too... And that's under liquid nitrogen.
(05-13-2009, 06:46 AM)skoreanime Wrote: [ -> ]Hmmm, I thought they fixed that reading bug awhile ago Tongue2

Using liquid oxygen/nitrogen, and running it for any length of time costs a fortune lol.

e: It's 1:30am and I'm still beaten by a minute? Synthedragon is magical Ninja
(05-13-2009, 08:38 AM)Sythedragon Wrote: [ -> ]

It was around 6 GHZ they got it too... And that's under liquid nitrogen.

Go google it again. Record is hovering around the 7Ghz range.

Oh, and they didn't use liquid nitrogen btw. They used liquid helium. Basically, colder then space itself.
eheheh There's a NDS downloaded rom on your desktop . Be careful :-P
(Disclaimer: I've never compiled betas myself. The ones I get are unofficial builds with the x3 EE Cycle hack. Some of you can probably guess where I get them.)

On occasion PCSX2 will detect my CPU speed at ~1.68 Ghz. My power settings are always "Balanced" so it makes sense, but still...

However, when I loaded PCSX2 (r1122) a few minutes ago to confirm that, the speed detected was, get this:

4294967.287 Ghz

I kid you not; first time that's ever happened to me. I might provide a screenshot later.
(05-13-2009, 06:38 AM)Butz_san Wrote: [ -> ]The emu has a bug in the speed detection. Look the picture below, I don't own a 8Ghz CPU. Mine it's at 3Ghz xDDD
well dude that's sick awsome. Do the games run at good speeds?
If they do, I wouldn't say that it's much of a problem sice it thinks you have an insane cpu. I wish mine could have that kinda bug LOLSmile
(05-13-2009, 06:38 AM)Butz_san Wrote: [ -> ]The emu has a bug in the speed detection. Look the picture below, I don't own a 8Ghz CPU. Mine it's at 3Ghz xDDD

And it reports this speed consistently? The cpu speed detection is hackish, in that an operating system task switch could cause the results to skew substantially.

Explained: Each core has its own rdtsc counter, and so if the task (pcsx2) swaps cores during startup it'll result in a skewed result. But this should be inconsistent. Most of the time it shouldn't happen.
(05-13-2009, 10:33 AM)skoreanime Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, and they didn't use liquid nitrogen btw. They used liquid helium. Basically, colder then space itself.

No matter what the numbers are, if they used helium it's even more expensive Ninja $0.10 a liter for nitrogen, $5 a liter for nitrogen. Of course for your money you get the most awesome -270 C liquid ever.

Quote:Explained: Each core has its own rdtsc counter, and so if the task (pcsx2) swaps cores during startup it'll result in a skewed result. But this should be inconsistent. Most of the time it shouldn't happen.

The more you know! (Insert Bill Nye theme)
Pages: 1 2