..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Metal issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First I have to say the Mac version of PCSX2 with Metal support is pretty fantastic. I tried it with a few of my games a couple years ago when it had OpenGL rendering, and while it technically ran, it wasn't particularly usable...it's come a long way! Games run amazingly well, typically full speed at 6X resolution.

Still, I did find a few issues, in case anyone's interested. In these cases the Vulkan renderer doesn't exhibit the problems, though can be slower and seems more CPU/GPU intensive, so Metal would be preferable. I realize Vulkan is implemented through MoltenVK, which suggests the native Metal issues should be fixable, given that it's all Metal in the end anyway.

With MDK 2, the character shadow is inverted when using Metal. That is, the entire screen except the shadow is darkened. I guess a bit is getting flipped incorrectly somewhere? With FlatOut 2, the track in the minimap isn't visible, though the car markers are. Probably something with the way transparency is implemented, in this specific case anyway. With Klonoa 2, character models have dark transparent rectangles around parts of the model. Rather interesting effect but obviously not desirable. (And I just realized these all have "2" in the title; maybe that's the problem. Wink )

[attachment=77290]
[attachment=77291]
[attachment=77292]
(05-18-2023, 12:27 AM)Rogar Wrote: [ -> ]First I have to say the Mac version of PCSX2 with Metal support is pretty fantastic. I tried it with a few of my games a couple years ago when it had OpenGL rendering, and while it technically ran, it wasn't particularly usable...it's come a long way! Games run amazingly well, typically full speed at 6X resolution.

Still, I did find a few issues, in case anyone's interested. In these cases the Vulkan renderer doesn't exhibit the problems, though can be slower and seems more CPU/GPU intensive, so Metal would be preferable. I realize Vulkan is implemented through MoltenVK, which suggests the native Metal issues should be fixable, given that it's all Metal in the end anyway.

With MDK 2, the character shadow is inverted when using Metal. That is, the entire screen except the shadow is darkened. I guess a bit is getting flipped incorrectly somewhere? With FlatOut 2, the track in the minimap isn't visible, though the car markers are. Probably something with the way transparency is implemented, in this specific case anyway. With Klonoa 2, character models have dark transparent rectangles around parts of the model. Rather interesting effect but obviously not desirable. (And I just realized these all have "2" in the title; maybe that's the problem. Wink )

Please submit GSdumps of the games in question, it's pretty hard to reproduce issues by staring at screenshots

Also, if you're still using the testing build, please upgrade to a modern build from https://pcsx2.net/downloads/
Yeah, this was with one of the nightly builds. I updated to 1.7.4552 a week or so ago and the issues were unchanged. Do you want the GS dumps submitted somewhere specific, or just linked to here?
For whatever it's worth, I've updated stuff since then (OS, PCSX2 version, etc.) and something along the way fixed it, so this isn't an issue now.