..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: cant find Half Screen Fix option
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm using the latest version of pcsx2 through emudeck and played okami halfway through on my laptop with an older build that had the half screen fix which is needed to fix the horrible ghosting on Okami - also cleans up god hand as well - as its unplayable otherwise.

I checked game properties and its literally the only hardware fix thats missing amd its the only one that fixes okami. Is it hidden or been removed? because I feel like I'm being drowned in a vat of crude oil trying to play it.

This is what it looks like with my old laptop settings: 
https://imgur.com/a/sbM4PqV
This one was removed intentionally as of PCSX2 version v1.7.4899 and v1.7.4914. You can check it out here and here.
(09-09-2023, 10:23 PM)Khi Wrote: [ -> ]This one was removed intentionally as of PCSX2 version v1.7.4899 and v1.7.4914. You can check it out here and here.

stupid question... any other ways to fix okami without it? I havent heard of any other ways to make okami playable or look like the picture I posted without it. otherwise the updates are a downgrade
Unfortunately, i do not own the game Okami and can not give any advice about it. I also have a similar problem with a game (Valkyrie Profile 2 - Silmeria) that required the Half-Screen Fix option. I am sure the remaining problems will be fixed over time. Smile
the amount of threads online that complain about this problem and I found a fix in the settings and it gets removed? no wonder computers are such broken incompetent heaps, randomly break, randomly do whatever they want and which are only good for stealing your personal details to sell on when this is the kind of updates that get pushed out.

I thought the emulation developers were supposed to be different from the technical incompetence of AAA developers, but guess not... not being salty but the truth's the truth, really fed up with being blocked by general stupidity in the gaming scene from playing games, its almost as if noone knows WTF they're actually doing.. by looking around at modern society, I'm probably not far off the mark

anyway, thanks for replying, shame the best version available of okami now doesnt exist because they removed that one option.

My grandpa said something when I was younger, he said 'try kick yourself in the balls' couldnt do it, then after acouple of tries he said 'good, I'm warning you though... there's ALOT of people that do it on a daily basis' didnt know what he meant at the time... now it makes more sense than I would like

nothing works properly and everyone's walking funny
(09-09-2023, 11:16 PM)zanderman2009 Wrote: [ -> ]the amount of threads online that complain about this problem and I found a fix in the settings and it gets removed? no wonder computers are such broken incompetent heaps, randomly break, randomly do whatever they want and which are only good for stealing your personal details to sell on when this is the kind of updates that get pushed out.

I thought the emulation developers were supposed to be different from the technical incompetence of AAA developers, but guess not... not being salty but the truth's the truth, really fed up with being blocked by general stupidity in the gaming scene from playing games, its almost as if noone knows WTF they're actually doing.. by looking around at modern society, I'm probably not far off the mark

anyway, thanks for replying, shame the best version available of okami now doesnt exist because they removed that one option.

My grandpa said something when I was younger, he said 'try kick yourself in the balls' couldnt do it, then after acouple of tries he said 'good, I'm warning you though... there's ALOT of people that do it on a daily basis' didnt know what he meant at the time... now it makes more sense than I would like

nothing works properly and everyone's walking funny

sorry kiddo, but you missed the point
read this : https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/pull/9745

to understand why it was removed

That said, if you want to keep it, you can fork the project before this PR and make your own build
kids know if something works and you can turn it off so it doesnt affect other games then you dont need to remove it, especially if it makes one of the best games on the console playable

guess I have the wrong mindset, not as if computers were made to save time or be convenient or plug and play in anyway were they?... if a big adult says its right then who am I to argue, adults have been doing really well these days I've heard

thanks for the reply, the condescension's much appreciated, thank god you didnt call me an adult or I would have been really insulted, kids know its really painful to hit your own testicles, also impossible... unless your an adult
Well, so you know, it got removed because it's now redundant, the thing it was designed for is no longer a problem. It's unlikely that it will fix the ghosting.

Anyway, since you decided to call us incompetent and "general stupidity", you can sort it out yourself.
you don't get it
As you already know, devs do this for free, and have a goal : accuracy
accuracy = removing hacks to emulate the console as precisely as possible with core code
If removing that hack is fine for their goal, but "breaks" some hacky enhancements, then so be it.
They aren't going to modify their objectives because some random kid has been whining about 1 game he loves "doesn't work in some way" (press F9, you'll see it's accurate)
To make it short : they don't owe you anything. This is FOSS, and you can make your own build to suit your needs
so you play at native ps2 resolution to achieve maximum accuracy of course, do you do that on a 1440p or 4k TV? because if you upscale at all, thats not accurately replicating the PS2 experience.

Like everyone else, I'm smart enough to know that perfect accuracy isn't useful atall, in fact its now proven to be harmful to people who just want to play PS2 games with accuracy thats good enough.

Its a PS2, perfection is a sub 500p emulation on a 4k TV if you actually want 'true accuracy'... seeing as every single person using PCSX2 is going to upscale and the half screen fix categorically works for sharpening and cleaning up the blur/post processing artefacts that are present after upscaling, proven by the screenshot in the OP, then it stops being a hack as it produces desirable results by removing upscaling artefacts which 100% of users will upscale

so at that point its no longer an accurate PS2 emulation anyway because its being upscaled, so why remove an optional component that has no bearing on other games and I dont know if you noticed the game specific settings? its quite a smart idea. as soon as you upscale, it isnt an accurate emulation.

emulating a turd is only worthwhile if you can remove the smell and polish it up a little bit, if you want to accurately recreate the results of the vindaloo down to what comes out the other end - the part nobody wants - you're part of the ever growing community of the lonely IQ club

and what is it with you adullts that I provide incontrovertible proof and you say the fix wouldn't likely produce those results? I have a steam deck with identical, copy/paste settings as my laptop - where the screenshot above came from - apart from this hack and it looks like warm garbage on the deck with the 'accurate' vaseline/crude oil streak post processing affect and noticeable blur on every other game I've tried which the half screen fix removes.

'go compile your own build' good to know you really care about the people using the software, go identify as something smarter... a stick of celery would be your best bet. and if I understand you correctly, the developer doesnt owe the community anything? because he would still be working on this emulator if noone used it right? people using PCSX2 is motivation to continue development, otherwise it would have died long ago, money isnt the only currency in play in the world my friend. I appreciate the hell out of the work thats went into it but ignoring the users of it is AAA developer territory.

I'll leave you adullts to stack n' jack over how accurate a PS2 running at 4k resolution is, if you can manage it, please dont pi$$ in the gene pool, there's already 7 billion stains that are really hard to get rid of.

adults, dont make me laugh, its like watching kids cosplay being grown up
Pages: 1 2