..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: State Save
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I loaded a state in one game and lost all of a week's progress in another game.
I started using the emulator recently and I confused the state functions with the common save on memory cards.
Is it possible to undo this loading or reset the state based on a date?

Please save me

Tks
Use in-game saving to be safe.

Save states are often invalidated by emulator updates. You usually get a warning in the update notes that you're about to lose your save states if you are to update. You *may* be able to recover your states by rolling back emulator version to a compatible state, then in-game saving once it works.
On top of what MrWizard said, you really shouldn't use save states very often. Only if you're stuck in a specific part of the game that you're trying to get past. But for your regular saves, use the in game save options. Save states can break the game. Also, as mentioned by MrWizard, when you update PCSX2, it will often break, or erase your save states. So don't get in the habit of using them all the time. Just when you absolutely need to in order to get past a troublesome part of the game
@envisaged0ne: There's an interesting trend here, as emulation users are generally trained to 'trust' save states. PCSX2 is the only emulator that I'm aware of where save states aren't safe between updates... Additionally, for anyone who's been using PCSX2 for a while, would still trust them as incompatibility thing between updates didn't really exist till reasonably recently in 1.7-dev, and even if it did, losing states every 4 years between major revisions is very different from losing them every 2-6 weeks.

I don't feel there's a true issue here, though an unsuspecting user will get no warning at all if they update manually or upgrade from a pre-updater version.
(09-18-2023, 10:30 PM)MrWizard Wrote: [ -> ]@envisaged0ne: There's an interesting trend here, as emulation users are generally trained to 'trust' save states. PCSX2 is the only emulator that I'm aware of where save states aren't safe between updates... Additionally, for anyone who's been using PCSX2 for a while, would still trust them as incompatibility thing between updates didn't really exist till reasonably recently in 1.7-dev, and even if it did, losing states every 4 years between major revisions is very different from losing them every 2-6 weeks.

I don't feel there's a true issue here, though an unsuspecting user will get no warning at all if they update manually or upgrade from a pre-updater version.

nightly warns you twice before updating, actually
Of course the nightly updater does, which is why I didn't mention it. Of course that assumes that an 'average' user actually reads warnings Wink. In contrast, I don't know if there are any warnings when manually updating by downloading the nightly zip/installer, or when upgrading from 1.6. I guess we'll see some small influx of similar questions as above as users run into it.

Hopefully it's more of a temporary thing as users learn to use save states sparingly or save state compatibility stabilizes, but I'm in no position to make guesses about that.
The problem is that there is some old code debt that when you even touch upon a bit of the code that is relevant for savestates, that it touches upon other parts and PCSX2 is forced to make a savestate bump. In the future we will seperate components so that savestates bumps will be mostly mitigated or not as much bumped.
(09-19-2023, 12:32 AM)RedDevilus Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is that there is some old code debt that when you even touch upon a bit of the code that is relevant for savestates, that it touches upon other parts and PCSX2 is forced to make a savestate bump. In the future we will seperate components so that savestates bumps will be mostly mitigated or not as much bumped.
Thank you for the explanation.

I'm aware that dev team are doing what the can when they can, so savestates not being backwards compatible is just a side effect of things getting better. It will get resolved when it's ready, i'm sure of it.