..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: New Windows 11 Update Causing Nightly Build Frame Drops..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Probably goes without saying but the new November 11th update for Windows 11 that just dropped seems to break the 'Nightly Build' of PCSX2. Not noticing any FPS drops whatsoever in the Stable build.

Issue starts like this: I was fooling around with pressure sensitive control bindings and had MGS2 running in the background. Noticed that Windows wanted to update, did so (downloaded and let it install), I then rebooted and continued tinkering in the PCSX2 Nightly build. After the update and reboot, however, 30-40 minutes of idle time in the PCSX2 Nightly Build seems to force the emulator into a 30 FPS state? It's very weird. I noticed this in MGS2 and also in Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut. 

I could experiment more and give further details if this isn't a known issue or if other people are experiencing the same. Let me know. Just thought I would start a topic in case this isn't an isolated case.

----

edit: I just tested a completely different game (Devil May Cry 3), the exact same issue occurs. The game's FPS drops straight in half after playing for more than 20 minutes. It's like the emulation speed suddenly decides to stop trying (or some Windows 'safeguard' is gimping it). This also might be nVidia related (I'm running a 3060 Ti), but I never had this issue yesterday.

The stable build doesn't have any issues whatsoever with any game so I've just moved to that for now.
I'm was having similar issues that seemed to take place after the Windows update as well. My frame rates didn't get cut in half. They settled around at 53.95 with dips a little lower at times. You might want to check Settings>Emulation>Normal Speed (both in the Main Settings and per game settings) and make sure it's 100%. My Main Settings somehow got changed to 90%. Once I changed it back to 100% I got my 60 FPS back. My GPU is not Nvidia, but a AMD Radeon RX6600 XT OC edition.
Thank you for the reply, but it still happens even after all this time. 

I'm convinced it's not a problem with PCSX2 but some Windows 11 setting or my antivirus limiting the program in a way that I can't troubleshoot. The Stable build works perfectly fine so it's not an issue for the PCSX2 team, really. I will report back if I figure out what the conflict with my system is.
I isolated the issue by capturing every tick of PCSX2's program operation with Process Monitor from Windows Sysinternals.
Basically: I played the game with Process Monitor in the background and stopped playing when the frame rate drops started to hit; recorded the time the drops started.

Saw no issues in the log other than a lot of registry access for what looked like my Dualshock 3 (running via Nefarious' DsHIDMiniControl)
Noticed that svchost was dropping a "Name Not Found" error endlessly at the time when the drops started.
Seemed like svchost was trying to find the controller?

Unplugged the controller and replugged it in. Drops go away (They do come back after a while, so the issue still exists).

I'm not sure why this issue occurs only with the Nightly build and why it only started to happen after months and months of using the QT build in Windows 11 with the exact same set up, but the issue seems to be controller related. Could even be a problem with my USB port as the controller isn't on Bluetooth when I use it.

I'll just stick to the stable build for now and test again periodically with new updates to the Nightly build.