..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: The new save state interface is brilliant
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'd like to congratulate the PCSX2 team on implementing the brilliant new picturesque save state interface, that tells you which save state you are in as you scroll through the various save states with F2 or SHIFT-F2, and showing if each save state selected is occupied. And also showing a screenshot of the save state that exists if the slot is occupied so you know what save state you're loading or what you're overwriting.

This new save state interface took vision and dedication by the PCSX2 development team to implement this, and those who designed it deserve a ton of credit for making this a reality. It makes save state management so much better and more user friendly. No longer do I wonder if I accidentally overwrote a save that I didn't want to lose. With this, you know what save states slots are empty and what save states are what by the screenshot. Just brilliant, absolutely brilliant the way this was implemented.

I do have some suggestions to the team regards this save state feature, just some food for thought in case the development team are interested in making some additional adjustments. The feature itself is pretty much perfect as is, I just have two suggestions that may be useful if the team could consider these additions.

1. It would be beneficial to have an option to turn the new save state visual display off, in case, lets say, you are recording gameplay, and want to be able to scroll through save state slots, or save or load save states without the interface popping up. While most of the time I would like to have the new display of scrolling through the save states visually on, if I were recording gameplay, for example, it would be useful to be able to turn off the display and still be able to scroll through the various save slots with F2, without the menu popping up. It would be nice to have that as an option, to be able to turn off this display, and any save state notifications, when desired, while still having full use of the feature.

2. It would be beneficial to be able to endlessly save states without having to clear out the save states manually by dragging them into a new folder after 20 save states are made. What I do is when I reach the maximum 20 save states (10 slots full + 10 backup slots full) that I would like to keep, to avoid overwriting any of them, I manually go into the save state folder and create a new folder, then drag all the current save states into that folder to back them up and free up all the save states for new save states without losing the old ones, in case I want to go back to a previously made save state at a later time. While this method works quite well, sometimes while saving states, I lose track of if I've used all my backups and sometimes I end up overwriting some save states before I realize all the save slots (and backups) are full and go into the folder to drag all my save states into a new folder. Now granted, with the new save state interface it notifies me if a save state slot is occupied and if there is a backup save already in that slot (which is very useful to prevent overwriting a save that you want to keep). However it would be useful to be able to move the current the save states (including backup save state slots) into a new folder within the save state folder with the press of a hotkey, so we could "clear" all the save states out of their current slots while backing them up into a new folder, so we wouldn't lose any of our save states and without having to do the manual step of going into the save state folder every 20 save states (10 save states + 10 save state backups) and creating a new folder to back up them in. Or alternatively, if PCSX2 would automatically make successive backups of each slot's save state if a backup of a slot is already present, rather than overwriting the backup with the save state currently occupying the slot if a backup is already present when you save a new slot. i.e. so instead of just 01.p2s, then 01.p2s.backup, if you continued to save to that slot, it would create additional saves beyond just the one backup, i.e. 01.p2s.backup2, then 01.p2s.backup3, etc.

Of course, when you have a p2s.backup that you want to revert to, in order to load it, you would have to rename it back to .p2s after dragging out the .p2s that it would be replacing with the same filename. What I'm suggesting here is to, one way or another, better automate the process of backing up the 20 save states that exist (while in PCSX2) without having to repeatedly go into the save state folder, create a new folder, drag the 20 save states into that folder every time 20 save states are made. I often end up getting caught up in endlessly saving states and overwriting backups because I'm not ready to stop what I'm doing and go create a new folder manually to backup the current saves. The other issue here is that creating a new folder manually every 20 save states to backup my save states, often conflicts with my cheat engine hotkeys which are active while I use PCSX2, so the actual naming of a new folder manually to backup my save states often triggers certain cheat engine codes that I'm using in the current game, I'm not intending to activate while creating a new folder name to back up the 20 save states. Rather than having to go into the save state folder, create a new folder with a unique name, drag the save states into the folder, over and over again every time I make 20 save states, it would be better to have a way to automate this process of backing up / clearing out current save states into folders. Either being able to automatically put the 20 save states into a new folder (with a unique folder name i.e. date/time) and clearing out the save states with the press of a customizable hotkey or, alternately for PCSX2 to allow successive backup save states to be made in each slot until the user is ready to backup the current save states into a new folder. If we could make successive backups of a slot then we could go longer before having to create that folder manually to drag the current save states into,  would be helpful.

These are my suggestions for the PCSX2 development team to consider to improve the save state interface even further. If you consider implementing these suggestions it would be greatly appreciated and I think would improve the user experience and enhance the already brilliant new save state interface. Once again, thank you to the development team for implementing this fantastic new save state interface.