..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: MASSIVE pcsx2 slowdown after half hour
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Okay, here's the deal. Basically, any game plays great, but after like half an hour of playing, it SLOWS down EXTREMELY, to about 20-30%

Then this "slowdown" state, lasts for like 5 secs. Then PCSX2 plays normally again. But the slowdown happens again after about 3-4 mins, and lasts LONGER. And this goes on and on, until the slowdown state is completely dominant, with normal speed gameplay lasting only about 2-3 mins.

I thought this was a problem confined to WWE Smackdown : Here comes the pain(which runs at almost full speed throughout, until the slowdowns)but I tested more games - the same thing happens everywhere. Including 2D games.

Any suggestions?

Athlon X2 5600+
2 GB RAM
GeForce 7600GT 256Mb

p.s. During these slowdown 'cycles', I can hear the comp. fan whirring faster. i.e. becomes noisier. So possibly a hardware issue?

p.p.s. Everything else on my computer inc. games, run perfectly with no such slowdown issues.
(05-28-2009, 05:05 PM)prithwish Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, here's the deal. Basically, any game plays great, but after like half an hour of playing, it SLOWS down EXTREMELY, to about 20-30%

Then this "slowdown" state, lasts for like 5 secs. Then PCSX2 plays normally again. But the slowdown happens again after about 3-4 mins, and lasts LONGER. And this goes on and on, until the slowdown state is completely dominant, with normal speed gameplay lasting only about 2-3 mins.

I thought this was a problem confined to WWE Smackdown : Here comes the pain(which runs at almost full speed throughout, until the slowdowns)but I tested more games - the same thing happens everywhere. Including 2D games.

Any suggestions?

Athlon X2 5600+
2 GB RAM
GeForce 7600GT 256Mb

p.s. During these slowdown 'cycles', I can hear the comp. fan whirring faster. i.e. becomes noisier. So possibly a hardware issue?

p.p.s. Everything else on my computer inc. games, run perfectly with no such slowdown issues.

Sounds like your CPU might be throttling. This happens when the CPU gets too hot, so it slows itself down to keep cool (because speed = heat) and prevent damage to the cpu. Monitor your temperatures while running PCX2 and see what they are reaching.
Some time ago I was using my video card with a stopped fan (a cable got in the way) and experienced similar slowdown after it has overheated. It took me a while to figure out the problem...
(05-28-2009, 05:15 PM)Gabest Wrote: [ -> ]Some time ago I was using my video card with a stopped fan (a cable got in the way) and experienced similar slowdown after it has overheated. It took me a while to figure out the problem...

Could be but he says his PC runs other (non-PCSX2) games fine, if it was the graphics card it would be more likely to overheat in a modern PC game compared to PCSX2. I think it's more likely to be his cpu.
Prithwish : are you using vucycle stealing in option and speedhack together??
(05-28-2009, 05:22 PM)Nijohc Wrote: [ -> ]Could be but he says his PC runs other (non-PCSX2) games fine, if it was the graphics card it would be more likely to overheat in a modern PC game compared to PCSX2. I think it's more likely to be his cpu.

Yea... but are there cpus that throttle back when overheating and not just when idling? Mine would just beep or shut down the computer.
(05-28-2009, 06:10 PM)Gabest Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-28-2009, 05:22 PM)Nijohc Wrote: [ -> ]Could be but he says his PC runs other (non-PCSX2) games fine, if it was the graphics card it would be more likely to overheat in a modern PC game compared to PCSX2. I think it's more likely to be his cpu.

Yea... but are there cpus that throttle back when overheating and not just when idling? Mine would just beep or shut down the computer.

Motherboard dependent, so could be. My old laptop would BSOD with error 'TEMP_CONTROL_FAILURE' or something similar and then go down, so there's some variety.

It may not be happening with other games because other games don't push the system quite like PCSX2 does. One way to find out is to do everything you can to make it overheat, and see if it does.
Stressing the CPU is easy, Prime95 is the perennial favorite for this.
Stressing the GPU is something I've never tried, but should be easy. Run something graphically intensive and see what happens. May I suggest rthdribl, it's like the Crysis if freeware tech demos.
Let it run for an hour or two and check the temps.
My laptop died a few weeks ago with the same Symptom
Ur CPU overheating, it may die if it continues like that
FurMark is a good tool to stress GPU (It's the only thing that managed to overheat my hd4850 xD). It also shows current GPU temp, which is very useful.
(05-28-2009, 05:36 PM)Register Wrote: [ -> ]Prithwish : are you using vucycle stealing in option and speedhack together??

Yeah I AM using vucycle stealing and the INTC Sync hack, and the idle loop ffwd hacks together. But even without those (or without any speed hacks) the problem still persists.
Pages: 1 2 3 4