..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: RE4 PAL freeze at boot-up/language selection (SVN only)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

First, thanks again to the PCSX2 team for a great emulator. I recently tried playing Resident Evil 4 PAL, and it seems to freeze up at boot-up/language selection. Well, the emulator seems to be running file, but it's stuck with the cursor at English; it doesn't seem to read any input.

This only happens in SVN (rev. 1358 - most recent before OGL in GSdx), the 0.96 release works fine. I also tried in release with the plugins from SVN 1358, and it works there, so it seems to be an issue with the core. I also tried rev. 1250, and it fails there as well. All speed hacks/patches/etc. are off for these tests, of course. I also tried a bunch of different rounding modes; nothing seems to work.

Also, what's the first revision with VU cycle stealing? I might revert to that one and see if it works there.

EDIT: specs:
Windows XP SP3 and Windows 7 RC1 (tried both)
GSDx, tried DX9 HW, DX10 HW, and software
ASUS P5B Deluxe
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 @3.33 GhZ (stock... need new heatsink)
Radeon HD 4850
4GB OCZ Reaper DDR2 800 RAM (PC2 6400)

Thanks,
All the best,
fraserofthenight
I just tried the NTSC version and it worked fine with rev 1350 of PCSX2 and GSDX rev 1357 (DX10 mode)
Which pad plugin are you using?
(06-13-2009, 10:31 PM)Bositman Wrote: [ -> ]I just tried the NTSC version and it worked fine with rev 1350 of PCSX2 and GSDX rev 1357 (DX10 mode)
Which pad plugin are you using?

That should have been the first thing I tried Blush. I was using the LilyPad from svn. Tried with XPad & it works fine. Still, that doesn't explain why it worked with LilyPad svn on 0.96 release... Anyways, thanks; all is well!
Most of the time freeze-ups at PAL/MULTI5 language screens is caused by IOP cycle rates. Turning on/off the IOP x2 Cycle Hack may fix the problem (yes sometimes enabling the hack can fix the problem, or disabling it if you are using it may as well). Revisions likely to break it usually involve anything that changes IOP's instruction cycle rates or SIF dma timings.

... and possibly it could be broken by VIF changes, only because VIF has the potential to break everything from bootup, to graphics, to your car's transmission.