..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: I hate to ask this because I know how annoying it can be, but will this run alright?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all, I'm looking into getting a new, reasonably priced laptop. I'm pretty set on this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6834220483

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53G (Can be OC'd to about 2.7, or so I've read. Probably more if needed, but I'm not too into overclocking)
4GB DDR2 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS (512MB DDR3)

Now, PS2 emulation isn't something I completely need to have, and to be honest, I'm only looking into having a few games run. Two off the top of my head:

Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts 2 (Final Mix, if it makes a difference either way)

I know PCSX2 uses mostly CPU power, so that's why I'm wondering if a [Core 2 Duo] 2.53 GHz is too weak? I'm alright with a bit of slowdown every now and then, but if every single fight I get into (KH2 especially), I lag a bunch, then that's something I'd like to avoid.

I'm finally asking here because it's hard to get a full answer anywhere else. I've tried youtube videos but people say it lags because of recording software, or they aren't doing anything -intensive- in the video, etc. It's just hard to actually tell how the game really runs.

If anyone has any set-up similar, or some advice on the matter, that'd be awesome. Big thanks in advance. (And sorry for such a long post, haha)
KH2 will run fine on those specs Smile, look at my specs and it runs fine on that, so it'll run much better with a Core 2 Duo (cuz of a better architecture than the Pentium) Smile
Good! That's awesome to hear. It's nice to get such a quick answer! Big thanks man.
Use some speedhacks and you'll get playable speed. You shouldn't overclock a laptop though. Laptops run pretty hot at stock speed, so...yeah. Don't overclock that laptop...not even with those cheap external laptop coolers.
Thanks! And yeah, I know not to overclock. The one [laptop] I was looking at has an overclocking "Turbo" mode. It's like a one-button kind of deal, so I think that'd be safe as long as I only use it while playing games and don't over do it, y'know?

But I'm still glad to hear can run at an alright speed (with speed hacks, etc.), as long as there's no huge graphical issues, it's cool.
Laptops are not easyly overclocked, so be careful with that. Final Fantasy X, Kingdome Hearts 1 and 2, and a few more games will run fine with that specifications Smile