..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Should I bother upgrade to this CPU?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hello, I was wondering if any could point me in the right direction for upgrading my computer...these are my PC specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.01ghz
GPU: ATI Radeon x1950xt 512 MB
Memory: 2GB

While running pcsx2 I get poor performance in my target game ( Everquest Online Adventures ), the frame rate being between 25-40 fps. This is using the latest beta, and every speed hack enabled and set to max, using ZeroGS.

So, after much reading on the forums I see that pcsx2 is very dependant on the CPU..and my CPU is aging. So my question is, without upgrading anything else, could I get away with replacing my CPU with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.2ghz? Will I reach near full speed rates with that? I'm trying to avoid a full system overhaul, and my current CPU socket is 939 thus my options on CPU's are quite limited.

Thanks for any advice!
You can simply achieve 2,2 GHz by overclocking your current cpu. In my opinionion there's no need to upgrade.
Here's the link where you can check how much your cpu can handle. Just select appropriate cpu features - http://www.amdgeeks.net/overclockdatabase
Uh no way 200 extra mhz will give you 20 extra fps...so that update would be a huge waste of money!
i have a X2 4400+ OC'd to 2.92ghz and its not very good for pcsx2 (and at stock speed its even worse ;p)
i wouldn't recommend upgrading to that CPU, its just going to be a waste of money.

if you want decent performance, you're going to have to do a full upgrade.
Is that CPU the fastest your motherboard can take? Also, could you please tell us what motherboard you have?
If you can, but AMD II X2 550, with 3.1Ghz and easy to over clock to 3.9Ghz with stockfan (Easy with me, maybe not with someone that unfamilar with overclocking).Upgrade into 4400 is a waste of money, I can sure.
You'll get that 200mhz and more just by soft overclocking with SetFSB program. It's a neat tool if you want to try how big boost in performance you'll by overclocking, and it's relatively safe if you are new to OCing.
(06-23-2009, 11:50 PM)GunGrave12 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, I was wondering if any could point me in the right direction for upgrading my computer...these are my PC specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.01ghz
GPU: ATI Radeon x1950xt 512 MB
Memory: 2GB

While running pcsx2 I get poor performance in my target game ( Everquest Online Adventures ), the frame rate being between 25-40 fps. This is using the latest beta, and every speed hack enabled and set to max, using ZeroGS.

So, after much reading on the forums I see that pcsx2 is very dependant on the CPU..and my CPU is aging. So my question is, without upgrading anything else, could I get away with replacing my CPU with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.2ghz? Will I reach near full speed rates with that? I'm trying to avoid a full system overhaul, and my current CPU socket is 939 thus my options on CPU's are quite limited.

Thanks for any advice!

lol.. adding another 200mhz will prolly give u about 3-5fps more than what you already have.
(06-24-2009, 12:24 AM)Waro Wrote: [ -> ]Is that CPU the fastest your motherboard can take? Also, could you please tell us what motherboard you have?

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Yea I wasn't sure how pcsx2 performance scaled with CPU clock speeds.

My motherboard is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813128301 if it helps :-)
where it is a 939 socket, you can probably get around an X2 5000 or so, however 939 chips aren't cheap these days, if you had an AM2 you could get a nice Black edition 6400+ or so for pennies which would bring a fair increase.

My suggestion would be save up and get yourself a newer bit of kit, the core 2 duo systems can be cheap to build these days and provide nice performance advantages over the current AMD selection.
Pages: 1 2 3 4