..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Improper Shortcut Issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I found this whimsical error in pcsx2. It doesn't pose any threats, and I'm not sure if it's the program's fault or window's misdirection. But it threw me for a bit of a loop, so I figured I should post it.

When creating a shortcut to the executable (such as copying it to Vista's game folder) if the Start In portion is left blank the program tries to pull all ini files, sstates, etc. from the windows desktop. (ie. C:\Users\[YourName]\Desktop\inis\pcsx2.ini) It still manages to find the w32pthreads.dll in the proper folder.

So, if it says it can't find your sstates file or memcard saves then check the Start In path of the shortcut you used.
uhm, youve copied the exe itself to your desktop, not made a shortcut, so as the files do not exist there, it attempts to create them
(07-13-2009, 01:11 AM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]uhm, youve copied the exe itself to your desktop, not made a shortcut, so as the files do not exist there, it attempts to create them

no, he's right about that. if you forget the target folder for a shortcut, windows uses the desktop as the target, which leads pcsx2 to search there for its folders and files.
(07-13-2009, 01:11 AM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]uhm, youve copied the exe itself to your desktop, not made a shortcut, so as the files do not exist there, it attempts to create them

Heh, I'm not that dumb. Though it is understandable. Tongue Creating a desktop shortcut Windows can do fine. The only time I see this happening is when you copy a program to the Vista Games folder (Start Menu|Games) which creates its own shortcut and leaves out the Start In portion.

Like I said it's just something I figured should be documented, since it kept saying I had no save states and resetting plugins as a result.
We could be here forever documenting operating system flaws and driver flaws which may cause problems if you do certain things, this wouldnt really be benificial to the program or documentation at all, this is something microsoft should be doing, not us.
(07-14-2009, 11:39 AM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]We could be here forever documenting operating system flaws and driver flaws which may cause problems if you do certain things, this wouldnt really be benificial to the program or documentation at all, this is something microsoft should be doing, not us.

It caused a continuous problem with the program. I found a fix, and now others with forum search skills who see it can also fix the issue.

If you don't want to read the post, then don't. There's a specific reason I didn't post this in the Bugs Report section.