..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Windows Server 2008 R2 is 64bit only
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm going to upgrade my OS to ws08r2 from ws08, but the r2 only support 32bit applications when an optional module is intalled, its WOW64 layer.

What im asking is not 'what about pcsx2 goes 64bit' but 'what about pcsx2 is also compiled for x64 machine too' at least that makes some person's life easier by not sacrificing his server performance.

I hope someone could give me the best way to get around this.

Many thanks.
Is there an advantage for a home PC user to be using Server 2008 over Windows 7? I mean, I wouldn't expect a "Server" edition of an OS to be ideal for gaming.
PCSX2 doesnt suffer any kind of problem being executed in 64bit OS like server 2008 x64 or 2008 R2. I dont know if you're installing it different as I do however mine has worked perfectly and I havent seen any kind of "server performance" sacrifice reports as by norm it should come with WOW64 anyway as other 64bit OSs.

(08-16-2009, 01:28 AM)KrazyTrumpeter05 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there an advantage for a home PC user to be using Server 2008 over Windows 7? I mean, I wouldn't expect a "Server" edition of an OS to be ideal for gaming.

Server has other uses compared to client and should actually perform the same for gaming except for some incompatibilities (3dmark 2001 cannot be run in server at all for example :P), as far as win2k3 vs xp and server 2008 vs vista the server counterparts actually perform better and more stable, I havent used 7 much but this actually doesnt seem to be the case anymore for 2008 R2 vs 7 tho.
i have 64bit version of windows 7 and PCSX2 runs just fine.
well they say its win7 without the extra stuff you wont use anyway. though id prefer the desktop version on my pc anytime

too bad r2 doesnt support 32bit by default, but why dont you instead install that module, that will be faster than waiting for a 64bits version of pcsx2 to appear imo
(08-16-2009, 01:33 AM)bmate Wrote: [ -> ]well they say its win7 without the extra stuff you wont use anyway. though id prefer the desktop version on my pc anytime

too bad r2 doesnt support 32bit by default, but why dont you instead install that module, that will be faster than waiting for a 64bits version of pcsx2 to appear imo

actually its installed by default, just its an optional module which we can remove when its not needed. when its removed, the server performance could be better, less memory, no more 'watching WOW64 layer'
(08-16-2009, 01:31 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: [ -> ]PCSX2 doesnt suffer any kind of problem being executed in 64bit OS like server 2008 x64 or 2008 R2. I dont know if you're installing it different as I do however mine has worked perfectly and I havent seen any kind of "server performance" sacrifice reports as by norm it should come with WOW64 anyway as other 64bit OSs.

(08-16-2009, 01:28 AM)KrazyTrumpeter05 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there an advantage for a home PC user to be using Server 2008 over Windows 7? I mean, I wouldn't expect a "Server" edition of an OS to be ideal for gaming.

Server has other uses compared to client and should actually perform the same for gaming except for some incompatibilities (3dmark 2001 cannot be run in server at all for example :P), as far as win2k3 vs xp and server 2008 vs vista the server counterparts actually perform better and more stable, I havent used 7 much but this actually doesnt seem to be the case anymore for 2008 R2 vs 7 tho.

yes its one of the factor why im using server edition, it has superior performance than the desktop edition, other than for my productivity.
ed: im forgot to mention that most virus is not run on 64bit only system, except script based virus
(08-16-2009, 01:48 AM)ardhi Wrote: [ -> ]actually its installed by default, just its an optional module which we can remove when its not needed. when its removed, the server performance could be better, less memory, no more 'watching WOW64 layer'

Uhm wel I dont see why you'd want to do this when moving to a 64-bit OS as except for the memory use decrease I cant see big of a performance increase really, but in that case I'd suggest you stay on 2008 as there's still plenty software that doesnt come as working without it anyway.
(08-16-2009, 01:58 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-16-2009, 01:48 AM)ardhi Wrote: [ -> ]actually its installed by default, just its an optional module which we can remove when its not needed. when its removed, the server performance could be better, less memory, no more 'watching WOW64 layer'

Uhm wel I dont see why you'd want to do this when moving to a 64-bit OS as except for the memory use decrease I cant see big of a performance increase really, but in that case I'd suggest you stay on 2008 as there's still plenty software that doesnt come as working without it anyway.

thanks im considering that as an advice.
maybe i should try the trial edition of r2 first before moving out.
Simply compiling PCSX2 for x64 is not possible. It has ASM code, which must be converted to x64 to work within the context of an x64 target build. Converting that asm is not especially easy, and is in fact especially difficult and complicates future updates and bugfixes to the emu on an exponential scale.
Will emigrate to a 64-bit windows grant you speed improvement, especially in games where CPU or GPU is bottleneck ?
Pages: 1 2