..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Emu suggestions ....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Thanks for your quick reply, Bositman.

1. Agreed, not a problem per-se, but since doing it manually involves many steps, and can possibly be incomplete (at least 10 screenshots + image format + files + upload), it's a technical barrier for many IMO. I really think that making a readable config export easier could be very useful for many, and would really make helping users easier.

2. OK.

3. I've just read the first post of the FFX-2 benchmark thread (I think it should be enough but let me know if I'm wrong) , but I think it approaches a different issue than what I had in mind. This thread basically helps comparing different systems at a fixed known configuration, as a measure of the overall system performance with PCSX2.

But my idea was to help finding a good configuration for specific games, on a specific system, which can be hard and is usually a required, tedious and inaccurate task, especially on systems which aren't very high end. Obviously, performance is affected by many factors which are different from system to system and therefore a known good config on one system isn't necessarily the best on another. Such metrics (avg FPS + standard deviation over a fixed portion of a timeline, maybe min/max FPS) would make this task much easier IMO. Also, I _think_ it should be relatively easy to implement such sequence (load state, possibly wait X secs for stabilization, record FPS over Y secs of "internal" PS2 clock, display metrics). It may also help in the development process itself to evaluate speed impact of different coding approaches.

Also, the graph was a half joke.. Smile

4. Good Smile
For the next release you should make it compile on Haiku Tongue
(11-01-2010, 10:42 AM)avih Wrote: [ -> ]3. Benchmark utility. Allow users to benchmark a specific section of a specific game under a specific configuration on their specific system. An initial approach I had was to load a specific saved state, run without frame limiter for pre-defined duration in PS2-time (possible?), during which record the FPS, say, 5 times/sec, and when it's done display average FPS and standard deviation of it over this time line, maybe with a graph? Smile

From a PS2 emulator standpoint, such types of performance monitoring are not useful. There are so many systems, sub-systems, recompilers, and plugins running (some in parallel), that there's almost no useful information to be gleened from FPS recordings.

If and when I add better profiling support, it will be much more detailed than an FPS counter. Wink
(11-01-2010, 11:42 AM)vsub Wrote: [ -> ]Is this hard to be done?

(07-10-2010, 07:15 PM)vsub Wrote: [ -> ]How about adding some kind of menu entry in the CDVD=>ISO Selector and if you choose it,the build in ISO reader will always ask which file you want to load when you use fast or full boot(that's the reason I'm still using Linuzappz ISO)

I almost don't use the ISO selector and it's kinda annoying to switch between Linuzappz and Gigahertz when I want to start some game from disk or image.

I'll look into it. The Iso selector was meant to only serve as a halfway house in between the old non-existent interface and a new full-scale iso browser (like those found in many other emulators). And while it was easier to implement than a full scale browser, managing the pulldown menus is more awkward than I had hoped. wxWidgets' built-in recent files menu stuff is buggy and not suited to our needs, and the one I coded up is also buggy in some weird way I can't seem to fix (yet).

So I'm a little weary of adding more options to the menu because of that. I may just get ambitious and scrap the recent mess and implement a proper iso browser (... or not -- I mean, I'd love to do it, I just don't have time).
(11-01-2010, 10:47 AM)Bositman Wrote: [ -> ]1) Agreed but I see no problem with people taking 5 screenshots with the included button, it shouldn't take more than 2 minutes.
See? People wanna help and need good info in order to do it. Now, instead of these queries and ineffective replies (which are all over the forum), imagine someone asking him to just use this info-export feature. Imagine how much inaccuracies, time and frustration it could save.

(11-04-2010, 03:08 PM)Air Wrote: [ -> ]From a PS2 emulator standpoint, such types of performance monitoring are not useful. There are so many systems, sub-systems, recompilers, and plugins running (some in parallel), that there's almost no useful information to be gleened from FPS recordings.

If and when I add better profiling support, it will be much more detailed than an FPS counter. Wink
I imagine you're right since you're much more knowledgeable here than I am, however, can you argue that it wouldn't help users find a good config for their favorite game/scene? It's a process I go through with each game at least once (possibly with new PCSX2/Plugins versions too) and I think many other users too. I was considering the return/investment ratio with this tool, and I think it might be relatively high.

Talk is cheap though, since this money can't come out of my pocket Wink but I do spend when I can...
(11-05-2010, 05:49 PM)avih Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-01-2010, 10:47 AM)Bositman Wrote: [ -> ]1) Agreed but I see no problem with people taking 5 screenshots with the included button, it shouldn't take more than 2 minutes.
See? People wanna help and need good info in order to do it. Now, instead of these queries and ineffective replies (which are all over the forum), imagine someone asking him to just use this info-export feature. Imagine how much inaccuracies, time and frustration it could save.

Implementing a feature that dumps configuration to txt file is something I considered long ago. It is, however, quite a lot of work. There are dozens of settings in PCSX2, and logging them with nice labels and formatting will take quite a lot of work to implement, and will require constant maintenance (for every time we make settings changes, the logger will also need to be updated).

Doing a rough-shod log is pointless: For an already-existing unformatted output, a user can load up the pcsx2.ini file. Its hard to read, but has all the settings indicated in it.

Doing an automatic screenshot of all configuration screens would be great too, except it's nearly technically impossible under wxWidgets. I tried. I couldn't make it work.
adding GPU in pcsx2.ini would be a good idea, or in the log really. elimnate the whole waiting days to hear what X component is

(still hoping the cDVD thing gets fixed too, but not holding my breath)
(11-05-2010, 06:48 PM)Air Wrote: [ -> ]...
Implementing a feature that dumps configuration to txt file is something I considered long ago. It is, however, quite a lot of work. There are dozens of settings in PCSX2, and logging them with nice labels and formatting will take quite a lot of work to implement, and will require constant maintenance (for every time we make settings changes, the logger will also need to be updated).
I'll try looking into building such basic external tool myself. My initial approach would be comparing current config with the default config, and export the diff of a predefined set of sections at the ini file of PCSX2 itself. Some info from emulog and plugins might also be useful, especially GS I think.

Let's see how it goes.

What's the default install location on different systems?
hi guys
first of all i thank you and admire you for your work Smile
i think i got an idea, maybe it have been already mentionned or perhaps it was too obvious. well why not make the soft faster without needing a powerfull pc ? it will be more accessible to people Smile
i hope you guys are already working on something like that Wacko
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25