..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Front Mission series.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Greetings.

So i have been trying to emulate my favourite series of Front Mission.

A little backstory:

First i used stable release build (0.9.6)
Results :
1) Front mission 4 :
-minor graphic glitches (broken geometry , very wierd shaped parts of panzers) tried different plugins
-average FPS count (around 35-40) which in FAST game mod is pretty playable.
-i managed to get good sound when tweaking with sound plugins
2) Front mission 5:
- major graphic glitches (lot of trash on screen missing geometry wierd stuff, missing walls and structures , although wanzers geometry and textures were ok ) tried different plugins
- FPS count is awesome (around 45-60) both in combat and in menus which is very wierd because FM 5 has much more sophisticated grapics either than FM4 (which has almost similar graphics to FM3 which is a psx game! )
- sound is of average quality

So after tweaking all possible plugins and configuration , i decided to install a latest beta of video plug and pcsx2 plugin , GSDX1650

Changes :

Front Mission 4 :
- All graphical glitches are gone, picture is flawless (yay!)
- Sounds degraded a bit but nothing you cant live with
- FPS count is awesome 50-60 no lags which is Yay! second time.
But here comes a very nasty problem. When you try to get some wanzer fighting and explosions PCSX2 process instantly eats up 99% of physical memory (in my case task manager show pcsx2 process eating up to 1.3gb of memory) which ofcourse results in a system hang. In a release build that game had average consumption of 300-400mb of that memory. Plugin configuration is standard , i tried tweaking a bit but not succesful.

Front Mission 5:
- All major graphical glitches are gone (almost YAY) only one nasty remains. There is some kind of layer of awful shapes of gray on background which also blinks sometimes. Actualy you can play it but that one really hurts my estethic feelings cause fights in FM5 are more spectacular.
- Sound is ok
- Fps cound is awesome 40-55

So basicaly i have 2 different problems with those two games.
I understand that main advice would be to use the stable build of emulator but after i have seen a better picture i cannot rest. Laugh
Actually i found a thread here where guy had similar background glitches in FM5 but his issue wasnt resolved. http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-6942.html...+mission+5
Mine match the screens in that thread.

I also have 2 different bios (Japan bios from old ps2 and EUR bios from a slim version)

So anyone can lend me a hand to get an enjoyable gaming experience?
1. Did You Grab The Latest Pcsx2 Beta?

2.Play around with gsdx a bit and try different methods.

3. Cpu Settings. Tell a littile bit about your system specs, ghz, ram, etc.
(08-24-2009, 08:02 PM)Dog2473 Wrote: [ -> ]1. Did You Grab The Latest Pcsx2 Beta?

2.Play around with gsdx a bit and try different methods.

3. Cpu Settings. Tell a littile bit about your system specs, ghz, ram, etc.

1. Yep.

2. I tried but for problem #1 (hanging the system in FM 4) plugins doesnt seem to have an effect. Problem appeares in beta version only (tried older beta too same results). Release version has no such problems.
Talking regardin problem #2(glitches in FM 5) tried different settings but cannot remove that particular glitch,only summon more ones. The only settings i didnt change are from "Advance configuration" cause i just cannot understand any of them.

3. PCSX2 0.9.6 - compiled on Feb 27 2009
Savestate version: 8b400004
x86Init:
CPU vendor name = GenuineIntel
FamilyID = a
x86Family = Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz
CPU speed = 2.002 Ghz
Cores = 2 physical [2 logical]
x86PType = Standard OEM
x86Flags = bfebfbff 0000e3bd
x86EFlags = 20100000

Features:
Detected MMX
Detected SSE
Detected SSE2
Detected SSE3
Detected SSSE3
Not Detected SSE4.1

2gb Ram
Vista x86
8600M Gt
Well....... im not experienced at this yet........ Update your video card maybe?
I just dumped my copy and had identical results... I did a little bit of forum searching and there apparently was a beta release at one point that fixed the graphic problems, but didn't have the general crash... Unfortunately, the build number wasn't listed in the thread so I couldn't just pull it up.

It's safe to say that the bug that causes the emu to crash came into play some time between 0.9.6 release and beta 1474... I might try making some random builds from SVN just to see if I can track down a good Rev for this game.

(edit) First revision I tried (Rev1000, I was just going to use that as a starting point to work forward or backward from) seems to work fine. The graphics bug is no longer there, and the game doesn't crash like it does in 1474.
(08-24-2009, 10:30 PM)Koji Wrote: [ -> ](edit) First revision I tried (Rev1000, I was just going to use that as a starting point to work forward or backward from) seems to work fine. The graphics bug is no longer there, and the game doesn't crash like it does in 1474.

i'm kinda new here so can you explain what does Rev1000 mean?
Is it a emu version or something?
If yes please advise where to download it. I only can find release version and latest beta.
Revision 1474 is the latest beta, Revision 1000 was an unsupported older SVN. I built it from source. Unfortunately I can't post a link on the forum since you're not supposed to put unofficial builds up as far as I know.
I completed Front Mission 4 without hanging and with PERFECT sound in rev.945 Smile Now I'm testing FM5 and it runs fullspeed but with transparent pixel garbage. Anyway - the only problem is bugs with shadows - they are messed up on floor and blinking. However, this is gsdx problem, not pcsx2. If you switch gsdx to Software mode - all bugs are gone and game runs perfect, except speed loss and native resolution.
So, if anyone here can talk to Gabest about that shadow mess - I'll owe you much !
(08-25-2009, 01:09 PM)Linear Wrote: [ -> ]I completed Front Mission 4 without hanging and with PERFECT sound in rev.945 Smile Now I'm testing FM5 and it runs fullspeed but with transparent pixel garbage. Anyway - the only problem is bugs with shadows - they are messed up on floor and blinking. However, this is gsdx problem, not pcsx2. If you switch gsdx to Software mode - all bugs are gone and game runs perfect, except speed loss and native resolution.
So, if anyone here can talk to Gabest about that shadow mess - I'll owe you much !

Yep FM5 runs perfectly except that stupid garbage which ruins the whole looks.
By the way are there only 2 types of graphical plugins for pcsx2?

Regarding FM4 i'll give 0945 a try.
Mkay so with older version FM4 runs smooth and pretty.
No glitches , perfect sound and playable FPS (if you activate speed hacks you can get 100% performance)

So the problem stays with FM5 and its ONLY graphical glitch.
I tried with using different plugins and settings , but results can be only worse.

Anyone has any idea how to remove that glitch?
By the way picture is perfect with Software renderer i guess this may be a clue for somebody who is smarter than me Laugh
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7