..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Laptop compatability
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've read a lot about how dangerous running a PS2 emulator on a laptop can potentially be, so, I'm a little curious of how far the risks could run me on my laptop:

ATI 3100 HD (256 dedicated, 1151 integrated)
AMD 2x dual core 1.9 ghz
3gb RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

I read a lot about how horrid an economical class laptop is at displacing heat so I purchased a cooling pad for this purpose.

Anything else I should know before I risk it all?

Edit: Specifically, I'm interested in running FFX.
Dangerous? It shouldn't be dangerous at all... If you mean how effective it'll be... Well, the 1.9ghz dual core probably will get you full speed with most (but not all) 2d games. You may be able to ink out full speed in most places in FFX... but probably not more than that.

Your integrated video almost assuredly will only give you enough head room for native res in most games.
well there is no danger running at stock speeds
if it gets to hot, the laptop will either automaticly downclock or shut down when to hot
besides 2D games not many will run
I see! Thank you very much.

I was beginning to feel my purchase of a used copy of FFX was useless.

It's not mandatory that I play in ISO form, is it? I have the hard copy.
You can play the physical disc, but there may be some moments of stuttering or almost pause like moments as your PC accesses the disc. ISOs will always run smoother, but that doesn't mean playing from the disc would be unplayable.
FFX should be playable with speedhacks max

since i was able to run it full speed at most area's with a 1,83GHZ dual core T5550 (old laptop)
Old versions of PCSX2's DualCore MTGS option could potentially cause laptop overheating issues, both by overworking the CPU and by fooling the Speedstep feature into not throttling speed until the last second (was good for laptop fps, bad for laptop health). Modern PCSX2 versions don't have that issue anymore.

But yeah, performance tends not to be too great, typically, because of various inherent laptop designs. Having a cooling pad is a good idea, not for avoiding damage so much as helping to keep the laptop from dropping its speed and killing your fps from time to time.
(09-04-2009, 09:57 PM)Air Wrote: [ -> ]Old versions of PCSX2's DualCore MTGS option could potentially cause laptop overheating issues, both by overworking the CPU and by fooling the Speedstep feature into not throttling speed until the last second (was good for laptop fps, bad for laptop health). Modern PCSX2 versions don't have that issue anymore.

"Issue"? Its more like a feature )
(09-05-2009, 01:21 AM)tenow Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-04-2009, 09:57 PM)Air Wrote: [ -> ]Old versions of PCSX2's DualCore MTGS option could potentially cause laptop overheating issues, both by overworking the CPU and by fooling the Speedstep feature into not throttling speed until the last second (was good for laptop fps, bad for laptop health). Modern PCSX2 versions don't have that issue anymore.

"Issue"? Its more like a feature )

I agree with this, especially when you like run a game now and see it start slow then go fast then go slow again at times :P