What OS works better with PCSX2?
Hi all, this is my first post here. I have been playing some games with the emulator, and the speed it reaches in games like FF-X or Tales of the Abyss is not stable... I mean, almost the entire game is playable at 60 FPS, but in some scenes the speed drops to 50 or 40 FPS.

I really don't think it's a problem of my PC because i've been playing GTAIV, Assassin's Creed and Devil May Cry 4 at full speed... so I started doubting about the operative system.

It's Windows XP SP3 (32 bit edition) running on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ 2.8GHz with 4,00 GB RAM and a XFX Geforce 8600GT 512MB DDR2.

What OS should work better in my computer?

Thanks for the help, and sorry for my poor english.

Sponsored links

I think your problem isn't about OS...
That's a common problem; u could try different settings and plugins and see the best result
also, defrag your compter, it'll help.
It's definitely your processor. When I had mine clocked at 2.8GHz I had the same exact issues as you (same games and everything). So your options are learn how to SAFELY overclock, buy a new processor, or possibly wait until the emulator allows for a speed increase. Or you could be patient Tongue By the way, you may want to make sure you've compiled the newest version and try out the INTC speed hack. It's experimental, but it gave me a definite boost in all my games. Still won't give you 60 fps straight though.
///Intel Q6600 @ 3.4GHz OC'd ~Xigmatek HDT-S1283 HS/F~Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB~Corsair 2x1GB 1066 DDR2RAM~Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit\\\
I've tried everything, lots and lots of configurations and the best I could get is what I explained before Sad I've also used TuneUp Utilities to defrag the the partitions, the registry... and nothing changes at all.

If I change the OS to a 64 bit edition, should it run faster?
Quote:By the way, you may want to make sure you've compiled the newest version and try out the INTC speed hack. It's experimental, but it gave me a definite boost in all my games. Still won't give you 60 fps straight though.
=O and how do I use it? o.o is it a feature of the 0.9.5 beta version?
(02-21-2009, 08:48 PM)lastotaku Wrote: I've tried everything, lots and lots of configurations and the best I could get is what I explained before Sad I've also used TuneUp Utilities to defrag the the partitions, the registry... and nothing changes at all.

If I change the OS to a 64 bit edition, should it run faster?

No, like I said your problem is your proc's speed. It needs to increase.

Quote:By the way, you may want to make sure you've compiled the newest version and try out the INTC speed hack. It's experimental, but it gave me a definite boost in all my games. Still won't give you 60 fps straight though.
=O and how do I use it? o.o is it a feature of the 0.9.5 beta version?

It's a feature in the newer versions of the SVNs. They're betas, yes. You need to compile them or go to 4shared to find them. Again, the speedhack may not even help you much, but it's worth a shot.
///Intel Q6600 @ 3.4GHz OC'd ~Xigmatek HDT-S1283 HS/F~Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB~Corsair 2x1GB 1066 DDR2RAM~Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit\\\
Okay... i'm compiling the latest one now, i'll post my results later. Thanks Smile Anyway, if I change the OS to a 64 bit edition should it run faster? Tongue
(02-21-2009, 09:40 PM)lastotaku Wrote: Anyway, if I change the OS to a 64 bit edition should it run faster? Tongue

not likely, I had a 64bit OS, and now I have a 32bit, if anything 32 bit is faster

edit: I have vista though, not XP
No it would not. The 64 bit build was dropped so this would not help in future updates either.
(02-21-2009, 09:50 PM)With Teeth Wrote: No it would not. The 64 bit build was dropped so this would not help in future updates either.
well, not everyone uses a 32bit OS either, so reporting issues that happen to 64bit oses WOULD help, but not in speed, no