Age of Empires 2 compatibility (not really working on last versions of PCSX2)
Hello everyone, I have tried two different ISOS of AOE 2 with the 5718 SVN version of PCSX2 but after clicking "Game start" (which appears following the intro videos) the game freezes in "Now loading". I have used other versions of PCSX2 (5707 and 5435) but still get the error.

I used the same type of drivers indicated at the official compatibility thread but they do not seem to work. My computer is a Pentium i5 with Nvidia card, although I suspect it is not so much a graphic problem but a game/CD "load" one: in fact, in ps3 and ps2 it takes long to get past the "now loading" screen, although of course it does not feeze as in PCSX2. In the debug console, it always gets stuck on the same CDVD Read "pointer".

Since the game appears as "playable" in the compatibility list, I would like to ask for confirmation that this game actually works with later revisions of PCSx2, just in case there is a problem with my configuration that I have overlooked. Thanks in Advance.

Sponsored links

Quote:I have tried two different ISOS of AOE 2

Do you have 2 different discs, or did you make the iso twice from one disc?
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

Also what BIOS are you using? As it is a PAL game, i have noticed it really doesn't like the US BIOS.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(08-19-2013, 05:54 PM)refraction Wrote: Also what BIOS are you using? As it is a PAL game, i have noticed it really doesn't like the US BIOS.

I have tried both US and PAL BIOS with no luck. The ISOs I have used are completely different form each other. Moreover: I even tried loading the game straight front my DVD drive (instead of the ISO file) and still it got stuck on the "Now loading" screen, while that CD works on both my PS2 and PS3. Maybe the fact it is a CD and not a DVD is a factor here.

Anyways, this is one error I get in the console i find suspicious:

Error at sce1394SbEui64: -1
My NodeId = 0xffc0 (Bus=0x03ff, Offset=0x000)
loadmodule: id 38, ret 0
sce1394SbEui64(): failed -1

Then it always gets stuck in the following exact line :

CdRead: Reading Sector 95796(16 Blocks of Size 2340) at Speed=24x

I don't know, I would say there is some CD loading issues here and the sce1394SbEui64 call/function is a good candidate, but who knows...
are you using the latest SVN version with the latest FWNull plugin?

(08-19-2013, 06:24 PM)refraction Wrote: are you using the latest SVN version with the latest FWNull plugin?

I am using, among others, SVN version 1.1.0.5716 with the corresponding Gsdx, Lilypad and SPUX plugins (the other ones, including the Firewire one, are Null plugins). Using Recompiler for the VUs and EE/IOP and all the other standard settings.

In the graphics department, I have tried both software and hardware modes with both Direct9 and Direct10.
Get the game to where/when the error is occurring then post the emulog.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

(08-19-2013, 08:36 PM)DaTankAC Wrote: Get the game to where/when the error is occurring then post the emulog.

I have attached the log file.

Attached Files
.rar   EMUlog.rar (Size: 22,17 KB / Downloads: 260)
okay it looks like you have to have a legitimate NVM file, the PCSX2 generated one doesn't seem to work. As your bios is "roughly" the same as mine, this might work.

Take this file, extract it to your bios folder and rename it to be the same name as your bios. obviously keep the .nvm on the end and don't put the .bin on it.

If that doesn't work, you will have to use a better BIOS dumping tool on your PS2 that dumps all the sections.

Attached Files
.7z   SCPH-50003_BIOS_V9_PAL_170.7z (Size: 809 bytes / Downloads: 899)

(08-19-2013, 09:18 PM)refraction Wrote: okay it looks like you have to have a legitimate NVM file, the PCSX2 generated one doesn't seem to work. As your bios is "roughly" the same as mine, this might work.

Take this file, extract it to your bios folder and rename it to be the same name as your bios. obviously keep the .nvm on the end and don't put the .bin on it.

If that doesn't work, you will have to use a better BIOS dumping tool on your PS2 that dumps all the sections.

Thank you very much for the file, what you suggested worked perfectly: the game now gets past the "Now loading" screen, the save game is loaded without problem and the in-game engine itself works fine with no apparent video/sound/fps issues (used Direct10 software mode).