DX11?
Hi All,

Not so long ago I remember reading advice for people not to use the DX11, but use the DX10 in the graphics plugin, due to the DX11 being just a copy of DX10 without any enhancements, just not as stable, basically a poor port.

People still used them, so what happened was that it was removed completely from the plugin, to make sure people use the DX10.

But what was really interesting is that I now read some threads where people are talking about the DX11 as being superior to the DX10. Wow, such a change, from zero to superior in a few months time.... and completely unnoticed.

So, the question is mainly for the developers of PCSX2, and the developers of the DX11 and DX10 code: What has changed? What main features of DX11 are implemented? How would that affect games? What other work has been done to the GS plugin? And most importantly : does the advice to use DX10 still hold, or DX11 is now the preferred plugin.

Thank you for your time Smile
i7 @ 3.2Ghz /w Noctua
6GB Dominator 1600Mhz
5770 Vapor-X
1.5 TB Raid 5 /w 3ware 9650SE

Sponsored links

DX11 is a super set of DX10.
What changed is that we use DX11 libraries now to do DX10 functions.
For you, the end user, all that changed was the number you see after the DX. Wink
they may in the future incorperate some sorta new feature from DX11... maybe
Core i7 920 D0 @ 3.8GHz
Asus P6T Deluxe v2
G.SKILL 12GB PC3 12800
Sapphire HD7870XT 2GB @ 1100/1500MHz
EVGA GeForce GT 430 1GB
OCZ GameXStream 850W
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Cooler Master HAF 932

Sure but I think that DX11 is not that much of a big deal right now its pretty unstable though most bugs have been worked out and in the alpha builds I dont remember from which SVN but the GSDX plugins now show DX11 NOT DX10 and u can only switch between DX11 and DX9 so far I have been using the alpha builds and from my experiences I would say that in 0.9.7 DX11 will be supported though not so sure about DX10

Moral of the storyLaughirectX 11 has advanced ALOT and is currently(remember just a guess)going to be utilized by PCSX2 cuz it now supports some features which were not supported by DirectX 10 Smile
Speedy42:
It works the same as DX10 now. No differences.
We only removed the DX10 support to have a little less code duplication and clutter.
It is interesting what "multithread rendering" feature of DX11 would do to the PCSX2 if implemented... Any guesses?
i7 @ 3.2Ghz /w Noctua
6GB Dominator 1600Mhz
5770 Vapor-X

Nope Tongue2

( New buzzwords rarely apply to emulation. In the same way CUDA was useless for us Wink )
Well, i'ts not that much of a buzzword. Both CUDA and DirectCompute in theory would be very benefitial to the computing industry... if it was applied correctly. Same with DX11's ability to work in a multithreaded way. I think it was needed back in DX7 days... but it was rolled out only in DX11, and will take years to be adopted. Whether it is beneficial for emulation is a completely different story, hence my question to find out Smile I presumed that it may not be much, but hoped that small scale improvements by the DX11 would be there simply from code and runtime optimizations.
i7 @ 3.2Ghz /w Noctua
6GB Dominator 1600Mhz
5770 Vapor-X

Yeah other then compute shader I have a feeling DX11 is kinda useless for PCSX2. Tessellation is cool but not any help unless someone can find a way to force it on like ENB and SSAO and even then it's just falling under enhancement category,
Compute shaders are pretty useless for us too. If you want to prove me wrong, get hacking.

Tessellation is completely useless, don't even think about it. The GS doesn't receive 3D geometry.