PCSX 0.9.7 and GH2 help
Three basic problems, so I'll list them off and describe each one.

First: The CDVD plugin crashes with the following error when I try to open an ISO...
Code:
"(pxInvokeActionEvent) CDVD plugin failed to open.  Your computer may have insufficient resources, or incompatible hardware/drivers.(thread:EE Core)"
...But when running directly off a DVD, it boots fine. This isn't a problem on its own, except...

2: I'm currently trying to run a modified version of Guitar Hero 2 with custom songs added. However, upon running this disc, I get the rather well-known "Insert a valid PlayStation or PlayStation 2 disc" red screen as if it were an actual PS2 and I was trying to run a burned disc, so that won't work.

3: On a side note, using my normal copy of Guitar Hero 2 in combination with the X360 guitar controller, none of the buttons map correctly to the controls listed in the "Guitar" controller preset in the PAD plugin, and when I try to play a song, the few buttons that do anything at all are just treated as buttons on a regular controller, so it automatically strums when I press the button.

Sponsored links

You must have neither the ISO mounted in an virtual driver (like Daemon, alcohol...) nor the physical disc in the drive.

About the guitar controller, better letting someone else answer that question. Still it seems the mapping you are doing do not match what is expected by the controller, try combining them in different ways, in the meantime.
Imagination is where we are truly real