PCSX2 sound destinations - really interesting quirk
I often play PCSX2 using an extended monitor on to my TV screen. I noticed an interesting side effect to PCSX2 sound that could become a very useful feature.

When I'm playing, sometimes I swap my sound over to HDMI, sometimes I use my pc speakers. What is very interesting is when you swap between them while you have a game running on pcsx2, pcsx2 doesn't swap over to the new sound source (until you close and re-open the game window).

This means that I can have PCSX2 sound all going over HDMI sent to my tv.. but have all the rest of my computer sound go through my PC speakers (or vice versa when watching a movie). I know it sounds silly but it is extremely useful when you are multitasking or watching a movie on your pc. It means I can independently control my pcsx2 / computer sound just like a real console.

I just thought I'd mention it because being able to specify the pcsx2 sound destination would make a great feature in a future version. I'm using SPU2-X r5025 but I'm pretty sure the same thing happens in the v0.9.8 release with default sound settings. I'm just using some onboard AMD soundcard 7.12.0.7704 (nothing fancy).

Really liking 0.9.9 r5037 [edit: upgraded from 0.9.8], now I don't even get slight slowdowns when playing xenosaga (using the speedhacks and multicore support)

Sponsored links

Re-reading that I realized it can be a little confusing.

Here is the point form version:
1) Set your control panel sound to HDMI
2) Load a game in PCSX2
3) Go back to control panel with the game still open and swap your sound to computer speakers.

Now you have:
All PCSX2 sound -> HDMI
All other computer sound -> computer speakers
So, your suggestion is "Put a sound device selection on the sound plugin!" ? Would be nice me thinks.

I do something similar with the headphones, letting only the music be on the speakers.
[Image: nbKSK.jpg]
SPU2-X is connecting to the current primary sound adapter when it starts.
We can't be sure what happens when you make a different sound device the primary adapter after that.

You may want to try the portaudio output module though, as it offers device controls (hit configure).
Can you do a test for me? Play a video in media player and swap sound device while its playing, ill be curious to if that automatically switches too.

Edit: a song will do too
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(02-05-2012, 02:33 PM)refraction Wrote: Can you do a test for me? Play a video in media player and swap sound device while its playing, ill be curious to if that automatically switches too.

Edit: a song will do too
  • Movies & music (using vlc player) swap automatically when i change device.
  • ePSXe swaps automatically when I change devices and a game is running.
  • Project64 is a little different, It doesn't swap instantly. Sound still comes out the original device but as soon as the game window gets focus again (when I tab back to it) then it updates and sound comes out of the new device.
  • Other windows games update automatically.
  • If I have a movie, some music and PCSX2 running all at the same time, then swap sound device, the movie and music swap over to the new one leaving pcsx still playing out the old one.

It's not a problem at all (in fact I quite like it).

[Edit:]

(02-05-2012, 11:12 AM)rama Wrote: You may want to try the portaudio output module though, as it offers device controls (hit configure).
Thanks, I will look into it sometime when I'm not at work or playing something at home (~a week).
nice find. even tho... this is what I'd expect of a good OS to be capable of to do when there are two sound output devices available. this a basic driver seperation thing.

it "should" basicly work just by settting/using the primary audio driver - let's say the onboard audio chip - for windows and explicitly set another audio device - let's say you have an extra sound card > or in your case the HDMI audio driver/emulated/muxer whatever < as the "alternative" or intended output for that whatever specific other program.
An interesting, and lengthy thread about this type of thing:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/...21163e0654

Sounds like this little quirk was "fixed" for most apps with Windows 7.
I really do wonder what it is PCSX2 is doing differently...

Cool discovery, though.
I'll be making use of that, I'm sure. Smile
(02-05-2012, 09:52 PM)Rezard Wrote: Sounds like this little quirk was "fixed" for most apps with Windows 7.
I really do wonder what it is PCSX2 is doing differently...

I didn't think it was relevant, but maybe it is.. I'm using Win7 professional if you are trying to repeat what I'm seeing.