What FPS should I expect on Gran Turismo 3?
Hello,

Ripped my PS2 games to ISOs recently so I have been trying them out on pcsx2 1.0.0. I have noticed in GT3 that the daytime courses are running fine (55-60 fps), but dusk/nighttime courses are getting very slow at times (as low as 30 fps, but mostly in the 40s).

I have read some threads that talk about settings for the game and I have applied many of those changes (speed hacks, resolution changes), but I was thinking that perhaps the emulation of those courses is going to be a problem regardless of settings.

Computer specs:
AMD FX 6300 (stock speed)
2 x 4gb 1600mhz RAM
Radeon HD 7770 ghz edition
Windows 8

I was hoping someone could advise if I could expect to achieve 50+ fps on those slow running courses with settings changes, or if it's not a realistic expectation.

Sponsored links

Make sure you have enabled mtvu under speed hacks. Try to lower the resolution and see if that helps. Try to adjust the vu cycle stealing and the ee cyclerate sliders. If all of that fails you're going to have to overclock your cpu.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(10-23-2013, 05:38 PM)roawh Wrote: AMD FX 6300 (stock speed)

That's the main problem right there...unless you get AMD FX CPU's to at least 4.5Ghz, you're going to struggle with games like GT3.

Last time I checked, even with much faster Intel CPU's, GT3 won't run at 60fps, 100% of the time.

The simple fact is, for CPU intensive emulators like PCSX2 and Dolphin, AMD is the poor relation in performance terms when it comes to the more demanding games.
System:

Fractal Meshify C Dark Tint
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
Intel i9 9900K (5Ghz 1.335vlts)
BeQuiet Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler
32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 DDR4
EVGA RTX 2080
512Gb Gigabyte NVMe SSD (Boot Drive)
1Tb Crucial NVMe SSD (Games)
2Tb Seagate HD (Steam)
3Tb Seagate HD (Media)
6Tb Seagate HD (Backup, External)
Corsair 850w RMX Gold PSU
(10-23-2013, 06:25 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: Make sure you have enabled mtvu under speed hacks. Try to lower the resolution and see if that helps. Try to adjust the vu cycle stealing and the ee cyclerate sliders. If all of that fails you're going to have to overclock your cpu.

I did enable the mtvu and adjust the two sliders. Thanks for the input guys. I will consider OC'ing the CPU a bit and see if that makes a difference.
(10-23-2013, 06:45 PM)roawh Wrote: I will consider OC'ing the CPU a bit and see if that makes a difference.

You'll find that performace in emulators like PCSX2 will scale almost exactly in line with your overclock, 10% OC = 10% more fps.
System:

EVGA RTX 2080
2Tb Seagate HD (Steam)
3Tb Seagate HD (Media)
4.5ghz overclock is too much.

My specs are in my sig, I get 60fps all the time on any track. I have all the recommended speed hacks enabled and running at 3x native res.
-PC Specs-
AMD Ryzen 3600
16gb DDR4 Corsair 3200mhz
MSI Armor Radeon RX580 8gb 
Windows 10 Pro x64 
-Laptop Specs-
i7 6700HQ @ 2.9Ghz
8gb DDR3 
GTX 960m 4GB
Windows 10 Pro x64
Thanks for the input Zangetsu. You can't compare clock speeds between AMD and Intel, but from what I've read, the FX6300 can get close in performance at overclocked speeds to the stock speed of that intel chip. What speed that is...I'm not sure.

Your graphics card is a little better than mine as well but it seems like this is not a GPU limitation.
(10-23-2013, 07:22 PM)Zangetsu21 Wrote: 4.5ghz overclock is too much.

Not for an AMD FX CPU, clock for clock an Intel CPU like yours is 30-40% faster than the 6300 in question.

Your Intel CPU @ 4.5Ghz is equivalent to a 6300 @ 5.5-6Ghz!!!
System:

EVGA RTX 2080
2Tb Seagate HD (Steam)
3Tb Seagate HD (Media)
The difference between AMD and Intel are being vastly overblown here. Not all FX chips are the same, right now there is Bulldozer and Piledriver, and the FX-6300 is Piledriver. Piledriver is actually more than enough for a large portion of (playable) games. That said, he should be able to run it just fine (GT3 is demanding, but not THAT demanding) with a decent overclock.

Also, it's better to overclock than it is to mess with the EE and VU sliders. Overclocking leads to actual performance gains, while EE and VU sliders can mess with actual stability or even break some games.
GT3 works fine with speed hack though. If the op isn't getting the speed increase they want with speed hacks the only options are either to go with a different cpu or overclock their current one.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]