Metal Gear Solid 3 Pressure sensitivity (keyboard) problem
Hey guys!

I have a problem using keyboard with MGS3..
So, we all know that MGS3 uses pressure sensitive buttons ons the PS2, and I read that a way to emulate this on a keyboard is to bind 2 keys to a pressure sensitive action in Lilypad. One with a sensitivity of 1, and another with for example 0.5.
This works perfectly for the CQC action button (Circle), I can grab an enemy without slitting his throat. But, my problem is, that this won't work on the aiming/shooting button (Square). No matter how low I set the sensitivity for the Square button for aiming, Snake will always aim and shoot when I press that key... Which is kinda annoying... What could be the problem here?

Also, I only have a Logitech Dual Action controller, which doesn't support pressure sensitive buttons, so I can't use it with MotionInJoy.. Keyboard is my only option right now, and this is the only problem that's keeping me from playing this gem. Smile

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored links

Well, I can't help you with your issue, but I can suggest you playing MGS3 with your gamepad. Plugin should support it. About aiming, this is only relevant for M16, shotgun and maybe some other weapon, but not for Snake's regular and tranquilizer gun. Since this game is about stealth, all you really need is regular and tranquilizer gun. And for CQC, to prevent throat cut just press L3 (interrogation) button when you grab an enemy. In this position you can move an enemy, through him on the flour etc.
I've finished this game several times using Dualshock 1 without much problem, and it doesn't support pressure sensitivity. And Xbox360 version of the game doesn't support it ether. So don't worry about it.
(07-10-2013, 01:10 PM)Dant Wrote: Well, I can't help you with your issue, but I can suggest you playing MGS3 with your gamepad. Plugin should support it. About aiming, this is only relevant for M16, shotgun and maybe some other weapon, but not for Snake's regular and tranquilizer gun. Since this game is about stealth, all you really need is regular and tranquilizer gun. And for CQC, to prevent throat cut just press L3 (interrogation) button when you grab an enemy. In this position you can move an enemy, through him on the flour etc.
I've finished this game several times using Dualshock 1 without much problem, and it doesn't support pressure sensitivity. And Xbox360 version of the game doesn't support it ether. So don't worry about it.

I tried the CQC move you mentioned, but it doesn't work. As soon as I grab the enemy and press the interrogation key, Snake won't do it, he just let him go. And if I hold the grab and then press L3, he just proceeds cutting his throat.. Maybe I did something wrong but I have tried many times.
(07-10-2013, 02:43 PM)beyondthesun Wrote: I tried the CQC move you mentioned, but it doesn't work. As soon as I grab the enemy and press the interrogation key, Snake won't do it, he just let him go. And if I hold the grab and then press L3, he just proceeds cutting his throat.. Maybe I did something wrong but I have tried many times.

I've just checked my solution, and it turns out it's pretty unreliable, it not always works, and even when you grab an enemy with L3 method you still can't move him: Snake just moves him a bit and than cuts his throat.
But I found a new solution, and it works. I just set the circle button's sensitivity in Pad plugin to 0.470, and now Snake doesn't cut the enemy's throat. More important, it doesn't affect CQC kick and punch move. The only trade off is that you can't cut the enemy's throat, but it's not a problem: one just need to throw him on the ground and kill with a knife or a gun.
You have already suggested this method, but it works with a gamepad too. I have Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2.

The only way to get every sensitive feature to work is to buy a sensitive pressure gamepad, I'm afraid. PS3's Dualshock 3 works with the emu, as Dualshock 2, but you need a USB convertor for the latter one.
This is interesting, the aiming with the rifles without shooting actually works this way with keyboard Smile The button set to 0.5 aims, the other set to 1.0 shoots. The handguns are the only one that works differently it seems.. They fire after the button release, and I guess there is no option to set this in Lilypad.
Maybe I'm sticking with keyboard for the time being, until I can borrow a PS3 gamepad. Thanks for the help Dant Smile

Still hoping for an author to show up to enlighten us with a solution.. Smile
(07-11-2013, 11:28 AM)beyondthesun Wrote: This is interesting, the aiming with the rifles without shooting actually works this way with keyboard Smile The button set to 0.5 aims, the other set to 1.0 shoots. The handguns are the only one that works differently it seems.. They fire after the button release, and I guess there is no option to set this in Lilypad.
Maybe I'm sticking with keyboard for the time being, until I can borrow a PS3 gamepad. Thanks for the help Dant Smile

Still hoping for an author to show up to enlighten us with a solution.. Smile

Well, they (guns) are actually meant to work like that: you press the button and Snake aims the gun, you depress the button quickly and Snake shoots. Pistols' pressure sensitive feature works like this (it also applies to MGS2): if you fully press the aim button (square) and then slowly depress it, you won't shoot and will get out of the shooting mode. For example you changed your mind and don't want to shoot, so you slowly depress the square button. The other way to discard the shooting is to deequip the weapon (press R2 quickly). It works for MGS1, 2 and 3.

And as far as I know you can't set the slow release of a button in the pad plugin. It may be possible to assign, say, 4 buttons on the keyboard with different sensitivity and then press them one after another for this feature to work. Like this: Z - 0.250 X - 0.500 C - 0.750 V - 1.000
I have a decent fix, but it costs around 16 dollars, unless you already have a xbox360 gamepad

So here is what i did. I went to gamestop looking for gamepads that worked universally between consoles & Pcs and was pressure sensitive. They do have controllers that work universally between consoles & Pcs, however not with pressure sensitive buttons. Essentially i was looking for ps3 controllers that could work on Pc but they didnt have those. but they did have universal xbox360 controllers. the universal xbox360 gamepad does not have pressure sensitive buttons, BUT IT DOES HAVE PRESSURE SENSITIVE TRIGGERS!!!! alas using the trigger in MGS to shoot feels alot better than a button and you can use it like it's intended! So the trick is to setup the controller plugins sensitivity and dead zone to perfect levels to where you are comfortable with how much you have to pull the trigger to get the desired effect (this has to be done or you wont see a difference *you will pull the trigger a little and the full effect will occur if you don't tweak it*) So here is the step by step checklist.

1. Go to Gamestop purchase generic USB xbox360 gamepad for 12-20$ got mine for 15.99
2. Configure your new devices plugin settings. You must switch the Square button and the Circle button as your R2 and L2 triggers.
3. Continue Configuring by altering the Sensitivity and Dead-zone parameters and experimenting.
4. You should now be able to pull a trigger a little to either aim, or grab and enemy. pull a trigger all the way to either shoot or execute enemies
5. Practice and hour or two. find out you can control snake better than you could on a ps2.
6. Profit.
this thread is more than 8 months old, please create a new thread with this solution so, other's can share their ideas about this.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
The most recent post in this thread is more than 8 months old. Please create a new thread and refrain from posting in threads older than 8 months in the future. Please also review the forum rules. Thank you.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go