Mistaken Game Identification?
I currently have pcsx2 1.5.0-dev-2205-gaf2278c3c, running preset 2 on emulation settings, and this is more of a question than support: is it possible for pcsx2 to identify/label a game (lets say for example an imgburn copy of ratchet and clank 2: going commando) as the wrong one, because that happened to me a month and some change ago. Just to be clear, I do not support piracy, in any way, shape or form and all that I have was bought when I was a kid

the bit of it was I had to reinstall my computer's OS months ago after a bit of an error/cleaning, and I had all the old games copied to my portable HDD before-hand in labeled folders (with an (ImgBurn) tag so I wouldn't forget), and after figuring out how to make everything work, I extracted a copy of dark cloud I had made with imgburn, but when I went to load it up, it kept saying it was dead or alive 2 hardcore

now I was puzzled greatly; I know I made this using imgburn, so did the copying of the game from my portable hard drive back to my computer mess it up somehow? I later on deleted it and burnt a fresh copy to my computer, and pcsx2 identified it correctly

has that happened to anyone else, or is it just me?
In the face of true and un-restrained awesomeness, let it belong to me and me alone, cuz I said so, and cuz I have the HAMS OF DOOM

Sponsored links

Go to the wiki page for Dark Cloud here: https://wiki.pcsx2.net/Dark_Cloud

Report back here what region and CRC you have for your game.
I don't have the old dark cloud copy anymore, but my current one is NTSC-U and the CRC is A5C05C78 as shown in my pcsx2 program
In the face of true and un-restrained awesomeness, let it belong to me and me alone, cuz I said so, and cuz I have the HAMS OF DOOM
(10-02-2017, 08:02 AM)OldMoldSnorter Wrote: I don't have the old dark cloud copy anymore, but my current one is NTSC-U and the CRC is A5C05C78 as shown in my pcsx2 program

O.K. that a checks out, but does the title window still say Dead or Alive? I guess post a picture so we can be sure.
PCSX2 identifies games based on a CRC which is a type of hash. The hash is generated based on the actual ISO contents. So changing the contents changes the hash. This is why patched games are not usually recognized correctly. It's likely your previous ISO was corrupted somehow resulting in it generating a hash that matches DOA 2 Hardcore. Even a single byte changing could do this, while leaving the game perfectly playable, potentially with a tiny, unnoticeable error in a texture or something.

(10-02-2017, 06:12 PM)CK1 Wrote: O.K. that a checks out, but does the title window still say Dead or Alive? I guess post a picture so we can be sure.

No he said now it's identified correctly, it was only the old ISO that was incorrectly identified.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
thats the thing, though the old iso kept being identified as DoA 2 Hardcore, the core game was still playable as Dark Cloud, content, menu, and all; still strange that it did happen; it'll be sad if I have to buy a new copy for a game I don't have and this happens again, but its deal-able

thanks for your thoughts everyone Smile