PCSX2's bottleneck?
Larrabee's going to be expensive.
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.

Sponsored links

(05-20-2009, 05:12 AM)KrazyTrumpeter05 Wrote: Oh, so it adds more rendering capabilities to the processor? That's pretty neat.

Ok, after actually thoroughly reading that wikipedia article...is it a processor or is it a GPU?

Both. I do believe that intel intends to market it initially as a GPU, and will later seek to incorporate it into motherboard designs as a co-processor and future replacement for the current off-board GPU design. Integrated co-processors still have a pretty hefty advantage over GPUs in terms of bus trafficking. PCI Express 16 is nice and all, but is still no replacement for having more direct access to memory and Level 2/3 caches and such.

(the drawback of such design being that you can't expand or upgrade it as easily)
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
Is it supposed to be better than current GPU solutions for mainstream PC gaming, or is it simply intended to be a third option to ATI and nVidia? That wikiepedia article was pretty confusing as to what the darn thing is actually for haha.
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
Yeah, it's a new concept and we'll all have to wait how it turns out.
As for intel using it as a gpu, idk, that'd mean they would need to write real drivers.
We all know how good intel is at doing graphic drivers.. Tongue2
(05-20-2009, 03:20 PM)rama Wrote: We all know how good intel is at doing graphic drivers.. Tongue2

let's hope they outsource it?
Well, it seems interesting, and if it will be more useful for me other than just PS2 emulation, I'll probably end up getting a rig to support it at some point.
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
Tongue 
(05-20-2009, 05:10 PM)KrazyTrumpeter05 Wrote: Well, it seems interesting, and if it will be more useful for me other than just PS2 emulation, I'll probably end up getting a rig to support it at some point.

then you can lend me your old and wonderful rig Cool
If you download the PS2 bios illegally, you are breaking the law. Courts around the world have ruled that businesses and individuals can be prosecuted for illegal downloading.
[Image: makemydaynow.jpg]

(05-19-2009, 09:52 PM)fraserofthenight Wrote: Just out of curiosity, what's the main bottleneck as far as PS2 emulation goes (i.e. floating point, integer, memory bandwidth, etc.)? I'm assuming I/O isn't a huge deal, since actual PS2 disk read speeds are hella slow, and most games are only reading the disk during loading anyway. Rendering probably isn't a big problem either, especially since shaders are mostly nonexistent and poly counts are fairly low. I'm guessing floating point...?

Thanks,
fraserofthenight

one that hasnt been mentioned so far. memory bandwidth as you so rightly questioned is one of them. The ps2 can do in excess of 20gb/sec, where as modern pc's with DDR3 struggle to pull half of that, so this is a major drawback.

However most games dont take advantage of this, so we fall at other hurdles, such as the GS (as Air mentioned), which sony even struggle to get right, also the sheer amount of parallel processing that goes on, is difficult to do.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(05-20-2009, 08:52 AM)Air Wrote:
(05-20-2009, 05:12 AM)KrazyTrumpeter05 Wrote: Oh, so it adds more rendering capabilities to the processor? That's pretty neat.

Ok, after actually thoroughly reading that wikipedia article...is it a processor or is it a GPU?

Both. I do believe that intel intends to market it initially as a GPU, and will later seek to incorporate it into motherboard designs as a co-processor and future replacement for the current off-board GPU design. Integrated co-processors still have a pretty hefty advantage over GPUs in terms of bus trafficking. PCI Express 16 is nice and all, but is still no replacement for having more direct access to memory and Level 2/3 caches and such.

(the drawback of such design being that you can't expand or upgrade it as easily)

(05-20-2009, 01:29 PM)KrazyTrumpeter05 Wrote: Is it supposed to be better than current GPU solutions for mainstream PC gaming, or is it simply intended to be a third option to ATI and nVidia? That wikiepedia article was pretty confusing as to what the darn thing is actually for haha.

It's supposed to compete with the Big Dogs. So I'm sure they'd love it to become mainstream just for gamers. But time will tell. I have a buddy who works at Intel in the factory, and he's said he's seen some prototype in action, and the specs on it... and it just blew his mind.