How effective is the DX 11 plugin?
(10-03-2009, 07:23 PM)Shadow Lady Wrote: uh there's DX10.1 nvidia cards, doesnt really make a difference but they're out there Tongue

Name a card?.. Last time I checked Nvidia only use DX10.
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.

Sponsored links

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,69422...d/Reviews/

... but since it only came out a month ago, and it's pretty much a crap card meant for Dell desktops, I guess it doesn't really count.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
Low end rebrands made DX10.1..

It's a sham and they've only done it to say they have DX10.1, however thanks for showing me, I didn't know.

Nvidia IMO hold back general PC gaming, but that's another discussion for another day, which you either agree with or don't.
(10-03-2009, 11:45 PM)Sythedragon Wrote: Nvidia IMO hold back general PC gaming, but that's another discussion for another day, which you either agree with or don't.

There is no way either Nvidia or ATI are holding back general PC gaming. The only reason why we are seeing such rapid development of graphics card chips and CPUs is because there is competition in the market.

Although it is a duopoly, it's still infinitely better than a monopoly (unless of course there is some dodgy collaboration going on between the two companies). Without one or the other, we'd be generations behind what we are at right now. Who knows, we might still be fawning over 6600GTs or 9800XTs. There would simply be little incentive to develop future chips, when a company is the only one to provide said chips.

Yes, Nvidia took the G92 chip and milked it like there was no tomorrow (renamed through 3 generations), but that's because it was a great chip, and they deserve to milk it. After all, the primary goal for a company is still to make a profit, not to provide for its consumers. It's only when ATI had really caught up that Nvidia released a newer chip. Believe me, if ATI were in a similar situation, (ie. released a chip that was cost-effective and powerful) they'd be doing the same thing and milking it.
[Image: yunacopy.jpg]
haha it's like my 9600 is so 9 months ago. then there goes another from my nearest retailer, a whooping 9800 2gb ram
How in the world is nVidia holding back the market if game developers seem largely uninterested in taking advantage of a lot of the new hardware?
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
This really isn't the place...

But you'll find out, if you look in detail, things like "PhysX" actually hamper overal improvement in games.

We need industry standards.. How can we see progression if we're not dealing with a set standard compatible to all?..

Nvidia don't do this though, they're happer to bang out there own stuff, however no other vendor can use them.

ATI on the otherhand, while they do release innovations, allow other vendors to use them, an example is the new Physics engine they're designing..

However, since Nvidia are the larger company, they're not going to "defect" to another software. Many dev's don't agree with Nvidia's "methods" and thus don't focus on non standard innovations, this inturn splits the market.

If you can read that, and say Nvidia don't hold the PC gaming market back, you really haven't got a grand scale of the PC gaming scene and the stagnant releases we're currently getting..

EDIT : Another example is the DX10.1 fiasco.

DX10.1 contains alot of the tech that DX11 does.. Since Nvidia didn't jump on the bandwagon, neither did alot of developers, since it'd be pointless when X amount of people have compatible hardware with DX10.1..

When DX11 launched with the ATI cards, Nvidia were saying "DX11 doesn't matter". So, they're bashing it simply because they're not the first company with a DX11 capable card, I'm sure Nvidia's claims aren't going to make Dev's suddenly rush for DX11..
Stop with the Ati-loving fanw@nk, it's just childish nonsense. ATi are no more a better company than nvidia, both are here to please their shareholders and relieve idiots of their cash.

Quote:If you can read that, and say Nvidia don't hold the PC gaming market back, you really haven't got a grand scale of the PC gaming scene and the stagnant releases we're currently getting..

And this is complete nonsense. Game developers are seeing the PC platform as a loss-maker, a platform thats pirated to hell and back, this IS the reason it's stagnant, feck all to do with nvidia. Why risk a huge title on a platform that maybe sells 500,000 on a good day, when you can sell the same title on a platform that sells 10x that ?

And it's nvidia who are at least working with devs to get the most out of their cards, what are ATi doing ? Sitting around grumbling about standards, and why they can't release a quality driver, month after month after month, while the users have to endure the renaming game just to get their games to work. Look at the Rage forums, users month after month have to keep renaming exes to UT3.exe, or whatever, just to get a game to work properly.

Profiles ? In your dreams, and nearly 4 years on from when they said they would listen, they still don't have them.

Crossfire Profiles ? Nope, we at Ati think we know better than you and will continue to do rhe exe detection profile on your behalf.

Just got a game and it doesn't work with CF ? No problem, wait 3 months then Ati may get off their arses and make a profile.

Just bough Need for Speed Shift ? Tough, the performance with Ati's BEST cards can't even compare to my aging 9800GT.

Got Batman Arkham Asylum and AA doesn't work ? Well, if you believe your fellow Ati fanboys it's all nvidia's fault. The truth is, nvidia worked with Rocksteady Studios to provide a work-around for AA in UT3's deferred engine, an engine that requires AA done at the driver level. What stopped Ati talking with Rocksteady and providing their own AA ?

And, as nice as Ati's new DX11 cards are, they are brute force cards. Nvidia looks to have gone a different route with Fermi, and what with Cuda 2.0, and C++, there are much more exciting things this beast can do other than gaming.
Intel E7500 @ 4.00ghz 400 fsb / Asus P5QL Pro / 4Gb Kingston RAM / PNY nvidia 9800GT 512Mb / Creative X-Fi Music 24 / Vista 64 SP2/
(10-04-2009, 12:48 AM)Sythedragon Wrote: DX10.1 contains alot of the tech that DX11 does.. Since Nvidia didn't jump on the bandwagon, neither did alot of developers, since it'd be pointless when X amount of people have compatible hardware with DX10.1..

Actually that's the game makers fault really, but just take a look at it... how many DX10 games are there? not really enough to say that DX10.1 which was basically a increase in performance was needed either... also a game development takes years if DX10 wasnt even taking off when it started it's unlikely that 10.1 will be on it (my favorite games are still only DX9 actually Oo).

Quote:When DX11 launched with the ATI cards, Nvidia were saying "DX11 doesn't matter". So, they're bashing it simply because they're not the first company with a DX11 capable card, I'm sure Nvidia's claims aren't going to make Dev's suddenly rush for DX11..

nVIDIA said the same back in DirectX9 time, they were proven wrong and made a bad set of new cards for DX9 and basically lost that battle but that only brought a next generation of cards from both sides that were much better and much cheaper for customers, so if that's gonna happen again hell bring it on Tongue
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
I hope this thread does not devolve into a ATI vs nVidia flamewar....If only people would stop being so much fanboys then we could see healthier competition between IHVs.