PS one game compatibility
(06-19-2015, 10:51 AM)refraction Wrote: isn't pcsx-r just a modified version of PCSX (the one developed by the same original devs as PCSX2)? If so, most of that code is already in PCSX2.
The question becomes how can we use that code to make a working PS One emulator...? million $ question

Sponsored links

(06-19-2015, 10:51 AM)refraction Wrote: isn't pcsx-r just a modified version of PCSX (the one developed by the same original devs as PCSX2)? If so, most of that code is already in PCSX2.

Why, yes it is .... though some major improvements were made to the source... from that you should be able to easily understand how psx emulation works without resorting to contacting a closed source psx development team such as epsxe.... I can easily see semi compatibility with major psx titles in pcsx2 in the next couple years given anyone really desires to work on those features.... seeing as they are not a very high priority in ps2 emulation....

(06-19-2015, 11:00 AM)kage Wrote: The question becomes how can we use that code to make a working PS One emulator...? million $ question

As I said .. yes its entirely possible ... i believe any one of the members of the pcsx2 team could implement psx emulation in pcsx2 with enough time and reason to do so... if you are a coder perhaps you should be the one to start researching?
Motherboard: SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz @ 4.8ghz 1.41 v
GPU: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 @ 1866
we know how Ps1 emulation works, but it doesn't work the same in the playstation 2. On the PS2 there is no GTE (the graphics core) like there is on the PS1, instead there is a direct link to the EE side, where the BIOS has some handy functions to route the information through to the VU's for vertex processing.

Unfortunately the problem we have is getting these functions to work correctly, so we can get the PS1 BIOS sound but no picture.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(06-19-2015, 11:07 AM)refraction Wrote: we know how Ps1 emulation works, but it doesn't work the same in the playstation 2. On the PS2 there is no GTE (the graphics core) like there is on the PS1, instead there is a direct link to the EE side, where the BIOS has some handy functions to route the information through to the VU's for vertex processing.

Unfortunately the problem we have is getting these functions to work correctly, so we can get the PS1 BIOS sound but no picture.

Perhaps you can look into HLE... just a suggestion ... though im unsure if its really a solution to the problem at hand... this is something the creator of Psx and the team that works on epsxe could help with in regards to the psx.... though i would suggest the former over the later.... the epsxe team isn't known for their ability to work well with others..
if we did HLE it would defeat the point in having PS1 emulation in PCSX2, as it may as well just be PCSX. If we're gonna do it, we're gonna do it how the PS2 does it.

(06-19-2015, 11:28 AM)refraction Wrote: if we did HLE it would defeat the point in having PS1 emulation in PCSX2, as it may as well just be PCSX. If we're gonna do it, we're gonna do it how the PS2 does it.

Your totally right as from reading the rest of the thread the whole idea is to fix bugs and improve accuracy.... in that case your correct in saying HLE is out of the question for accurate emulation... seeing as thats the problem then what you really need is debug info from testers when running psx games on a ps2
There are a few things we can HLE, the BIOS for example, but core functionalitywise, HLE won't work so well.

(06-19-2015, 11:40 AM)refraction Wrote: There are a few things we can HLE, the BIOS for example, but core functionalitywise, HLE won't work so well.

Well then.... I am on board.. whenever the development team is ready to focus energy into psx emulation on pcsx2
OK people I leave it in your capable hands it is summer where I live and I am a bit busy at the moment but please keep me up to date regarding PS One compatibility
(06-19-2015, 11:07 AM)refraction Wrote: we know how Ps1 emulation works, but it doesn't work the same in the playstation 2. On the PS2 there is no GTE (the graphics core) like there is on the PS1, instead there is a direct link to the EE side, where the BIOS has some handy functions to route the information through to the VU's for vertex processing.

If there is no GTE then is there MDEC and PS1's GPU in the PS2? Or are their functions emulated by EE/IPU and GS? PCSXR is completely LLE so don't worry about HLE.