PS one game compatibility
(12-29-2014, 01:48 PM)rama Wrote: That's also pretty off topic, so back to PSOne Tongue2

Are there any PSX coders lurking? Want to help out a bit?
We're currently stuck in the game bootup sequence and this is some random logging:

[Image: onXEPDB.png]

PM me if you know what's up Tongue2

I may be completely off in my assumption, but what are the odds that tackling the PS1 emulation inside the PS2 could help uncover underlying bugs that may have gone undetected for years?

Sponsored links

This guy occasionally works on PCSX-r: https://www.codeplex.com/site/users/view/edgbla He also has one of the best software GPU plugin. Maybe try contacting him?
Intel Core i7-8700k @5ghz
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 @3600mhz
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64
(12-29-2014, 04:27 PM)Coornio Wrote: I may be completely off in my assumption, but what are the odds that tackling the PS1 emulation inside the PS2 could help uncover underlying bugs that may have gone undetected for years?
What a great ideaBiggrin
(12-29-2014, 04:27 PM)Coornio Wrote: I may be completely off in my assumption, but what are the odds that tackling the PS1 emulation inside the PS2 could help uncover underlying bugs that may have gone undetected for years?

it would possibly require fixing quite a few bugs.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
can anyone post details about backward compatibility in PS2 such as hardware used for example or anything like that while some of you may ask why post it if it is already available on the web...?
Well it can be useful as a reference to all developers who may help in the future. Thank you all in advance
(12-29-2014, 06:36 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: it would possibly require fixing quite a few bugs.

I only figure that emulating a PS1 is likely an easier undertaking than a PS2 considering there's also more documentation available on it and people who have tackled it before, so "emulating" it within the PS2 might reveal problems in code that might affect the PS2 as well, for better or for worse, but if accuracy is what you people are after, it's gonna be a necessary evil to rebuild a faulty foundation Tongue
(12-29-2014, 06:52 PM)Coornio Wrote: I only figure that emulating a PS1 is likely an easier undertaking than a PS2 considering there's also more documentation available on it and people who have tackled it before, so "emulating" it within the PS2 might reveal problems in code that might affect the PS2 as well, for better or for worse, but if accuracy is what you people are after, it's gonna be a necessary evil to rebuild a faulty foundation Tongue
you know what you might be right Tongue I think so too
Coornio:
That's the main idea, yea. Running PSX software on the PCSX2 via the PS2 "kind of emulator" could unearth many bugs and fixing
those would then help improve PS2 compatibility as well.
On the other hand, doing this is just pretty cool and I wonder how well PSX stuff plays on PCSX2 Wink
(12-29-2014, 05:04 PM)hellbringer616 Wrote: This guy occasionally works on PCSX-r: https://www.codeplex.com/site/users/view/edgbla He also has one of the best software GPU plugin. Maybe try contacting him?
I hope someone can convince him to help with the PCSX2 project who knows may be even join our community! Cool
(12-30-2014, 12:58 AM)rama Wrote: Coornio:
That's the main idea, yea. Running PSX software on the PCSX2 via the PS2 "kind of emulator" could unearth many bugs and fixing
those would then help improve PS2 compatibility as well.
On the other hand, doing this is just pretty cool and I wonder how well PSX stuff plays on PCSX2 Wink

I'd say just hit up @epsxeteam on twitter, and see if they're willing to share stuff.

EDIT : joined in 2005 and only 3 posts ? meh, I've really taken much distance from this scene. 2005 was the year I met my wife, explains a lot !