Read first: Will PCSX2 run fast on my computer?
I apologize if my question has already been asked, but I am new here and I don't have the time to read 167 pages to find my answer. I have a Dell Dimension E310 from about 2006 I believe. I've been trying to run PCSX2 for days, messed with the configs and everything and can only get it up to about 10 fps. My specs:

OS - Windows XP Professional SP3
CPU - Pentium 4 Hyperthread processor: 3.4ghz clock speed, 2mb cache, and 800fsb
(I know Pentium 4s were noted to run pcsx2 kinda slow, but I saw no mention of the hyperthread processors. Having two threads, my theory is that it should run basically the same or almost as good as a dual core.)
MEMORY - 2gb DDR2 RAM at 667mhz
GRAPHICS - Integrated Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express with 128mb memory
SOUND - SigmaTel Audio
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb SATA, with 32mb cache

With two threads (2 logical cores) running at 3.4ghz, I doubt it is the processor giving me trouble. And I have plenty of memory, especially if I'm only running XP Pro sp3. I am almost certain it is my graphics that are giving me trouble here. Would getting a new graphics card solve my problem? If so, give me some suggestions.
THANX!

-Insom

Sponsored links

Actually, your GPU is what will stop you long before whatever CPU you pair with it. Either way, a P4 at any clock rate (Hyperthreading or not) is rather limited to what it can play decently, and you don't have to read 167 pages to find this out. Just read the original post on Page 1.
I did read the whole original post on page one, which is why I said "I know Pentium 4s were noted to run pcsx2 kinda slow, but I saw no mention of the hyperthread processors."

Having two logical cores, I would think that the CPU shouldn't be too much of a problem. But thanx for confirming my suspicion about the GPU. Would upgrading to a 512mb card be enough to get me up to speed? What would you recommend?

(BTW, I am trying to play the Ratchet & Clank games, if that makes any difference)
Hello people I am new here,

I would like to ask you will the emulator work on my current laptop:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.0GHz
RAM: 4GB
Video Card: NVIDIA Quadro FX 2700M
(02-04-2011, 03:17 PM)Insom Wrote: I did read the whole original post on page one, which is why I said "I know Pentium 4s were noted to run pcsx2 kinda slow, but I saw no mention of the hyperthread processors."

Having two logical cores, I would think that the CPU shouldn't be too much of a problem. But thanx for confirming my suspicion about the GPU. Would upgrading to a 512mb card be enough to get me up to speed? What would you recommend?

(BTW, I am trying to play the Ratchet & Clank games, if that makes any difference)

HyperThreading does nothing for PCSX2. In fact, it may even decrease performance.
@ insom:
The amount of v-ram isn't necessarily the thing to look for in a GPU. Look no lower than an 8600, 9400, 220, 320 or 420 GT in the nVidia market. With ATI, somthing like a 4650, 5650 or better is the way to go. While you're at it, look into a Pentium Dual Core with a decent clock (unless you can OC). These are 775 socket, so it should work with your current mobo.

@ aleks82:
You GPU should do fine, especially on native resolution. You CPU is slow, though. Be sure and enable Speedhacks with most any game you try. Use the EE Cyclerate and/or VU Cycle Stealing as needed from game to game, but don't expect completely full speed from every game.
Ok I am looking into getting a Pentium D 3.0ghz - 3.4ghz. Thing is, i am not sure if it will be compatible with my mobo. I researched the crap out of this motherboard and found nothing that mentioned the used of a dual core processor. It originally had a P4 Hyperthread 2.8ghz, 1M cache. I upgraded that to 3.4ghz, 2M cache. I don't know if this mobo will take anything other than a HT processor. Though it is an LGA775 socket, so could it possibly take a Pentium D?
@Rezard

Ok thank you very much for your reply.

I've read here on the forums that PCSX2 supports processors with 2 cores or less, so that is the main reason why mine processor will work on 50% of its power with PCSX2.
And I have a question, Is it planned in the future maybe to support multi core CPUs?

However thank you very much for your opinion.
@aleks82: No point in multi-core support for pcsx2 because it's already fast enough. Multi-core support is definitely a must when the PS3 emulator comes ;p

@Insom: Check your motherboard latest bios from the manufacture website and see if it support Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad processors, but I highly doubt it would since your motherboard is probably too old... No point buying a Pentium D in this day and age, it's just a waste of money in my opinion. An Core i3 or i5 is a must have these days!
I would love to upgrade to an i5, but I don't think that will be happening for a while, as I JUST upgraded to this 3.4ghz Hyperthreader. OMG what a difference compared to my old 2.6ghz P4! The speed and multitasking ability is amazing. More than I need for the mundane tasks I need it to do. Only problem I have run into with it so far, is PCSX2. Though I am still convinced most of the problem lies in my lack of a decent GPU. I'm ordering an NVIDIA BFG GeForce 9400 GT pci express, with 1gb memory. If that doesn't solve the problem, then I'll know its just the CPU. In that case, I won't be running PCSX2 for a long time, as I am perfectly happy with my hyperthreader for at least a couple more years, until technology forces me to upgrade to the i series.